Could Disfellowshipping Finish Off the Watchtower?

by metatron 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Room 215
    Room 215

Jourles, I quite agree that any change will have to come from the courts. Unquestionably, just one painful loss in court preferably with the imposition of huge monetary damages, is all that it will take to generate a blinding bolt of New Light to hit the WTBTS squarely in the posterior. If that were to happen, we would see in a matter of nanoseconds a series of study articles in the Watchtower, appropriately couched in sanctimonious ``happy are the merciful" and ``prodigal son" rhetoric, effectively calling off the dogs and de-fanging the local elder bullies.

But how likely is that? Certainly not here in the U.S.

By the way, I really like your avatar.

• luna
    luna

Here's a prime example of Young Children getting baptized, and the ramifications.

At a hall i went to growing up, there was a young boy that got baptized around 11. He consequently hit his teenage years,
    and ended up getting molested and/or raped by a brother in the hall. This brother was subsequently df'd. The young boy, as
    far as I know, got no help and/or counseling for what happened to him, and was disfellowshipped about a year later for
    sleeping w/ a girl. (no doubt done because he had a lot of conflicting thoughts about the whole sex issue in his head)
    He was then disfellowshipped. Obviously, no compassion for him was shown by the JC, otherwise I doubt the poor kid would have
    been df'd.

I just remember going to the meetings and seeing him so sad against the wall in the back. He was 15-16 years old, and
    his family would barely even talk to him. He eventually got reinstated, but last I heard, he was back out again, and
    his family now tells people "oh, we USED to have a son."

I find all of this completely and totally abhorrant. How do you treat a little kid like that, when they've gone
    through that kind of trauma?

• Room 215
    Room 215

``Public attention is the key. When enough people really understand a few basics about the JWs, the Watchtower will be hard put to find new converts, and will be forced to change the nastiest of the basics."

Agreed, Alan. In internet-literate parts of the world, that is already happening, albeit in in its earliest stages. What more natural reaction to a pleasant encounter with the JW that just left their door would it be than for a householder to walk over to the PC, pull up a search engine and type in ``Jehovah's Witnesses" or ``Watchtower?"

• metatron
    metatron

Exactly, Alan!

I also appreciate the remarks about "marking" becoming a mess. This is exactly what I'm getting at - the eagerness of Witnesses

to judge and shun - that could get out of control.

metatron

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Could Disfellowshipping Finish Off the Watchtower? Answer: NO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit