stan livedeath:

sadly not got the car now--but retained the registration

What happened to the Rover?

• polish clarinet
    polish clarinet

I think God punished you for belonging to an apostate forum

• freddo
    freddo

As Stan has done you can look up lists and buy available personalised numbers in the UK. They are all original numbers issued by the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) but which you can look through and choose one that suits you.

The very early numbers are prized most because they are often short and not broken up by prefix or suffix letters.

Numbers up until the early 1960's would typically be three letters and one, two or three numbers e.g. XJW666 but then as the number of cars increased a suffix was added so it would read XJW666A, XJW666B etc. These also told you the year of registration 1963 being "A", 1964 being "B" etc.

In 1983 the letters of the alphabet were use up and so they became prefixes and the numbers and letters were swapped. So now it would be A666XJW, B666XJW,

Then in 2001 the letters ran out again and so a new format came out in Sept 2001 so that Y666XJW would be March-Aug 2001 but the new format (currently in use) would make it difficult to reproduce "666" together as it is in the following format ...

2 letters 2 numbers 3 letters e.g XX-51-XJW - now the middle two represent the year (Sept 2001).

When a car is scrapped its number is available for purchase and sometimes sold if perceived as having value. This site explains and is a sales site.

https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    FreddoThen in 2001 the letters ran out again and so a new format came out in Sept 2001 so that Y666XJW would be March-Aug 2001 but the new format

Thank you for the post!! Did you miss a bit here Freddo I'm so glad you Did this post since since the simple days of my CHILDHOOD when the letter was at the end I have been completely confused since I was at school during the switchover period and cars were not of interest ( since British kids, unlike our USA counterparts, don't get cars in high school LoL as our distances are small we are lectured to " walk its good for you!")So this was one of those subjects filed in my brain under " must find out how it works someday"!!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@Divergent

"What happened to the Rover?"

as with most MG rovers--the tin worm was taking hold---and i found a diesel MG ZR hatchback matching colours:

annoyingly--9 months later the cambelt slipped on that diesel MG and took the engine out.

the car in the next photo--another MG ZR--had the xjw plate on it--that was the reason i bought it.

Image may contain: 1 person

• Divergent
    Divergent

Nice! Rover cars are extremely rare where I'm at (South East Asia)

• steve2
    steve2

Last week I was travelling in the U.K. when a car overtook me. I noticed its numberplate which read 'JW 04 ORG'!!

This is the closest you'll ever get to being overtaken by Jehovah's chariot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit