Jehovah's Witnesses worship a pagan god derived from the ancient Canaanite civilization

by Finkelstein 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Historians of ancient history along with bible scholars have found from where the ancient Hebrews acquired their god YHWH .

El was the all powerful god of the Canaanites which the Hebrews converted mostly to a monotheist style of worship for themselves.

Apparently their were ancient civilizations that predated the Canaanites as well .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNpAoAPpiQM

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Its totally ironic too that they worship a God named by a Catholic monk in the 13th Century. Aid to Bible Understanding pages 584 and 585. I believe it is.

Derived from the YHWH and inserting the vowels from Elohim and Adonah.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Thnx for posting the Lecture, even though its an extract. The full lecture series should be heard by every Christian, not just the JW brand.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes use a name derived from false religion.

I would take a bit of offense being called a name which wasn't mine.

• lrkr
    lrkr

I've been reading a book- God- a human history- by Raza Aslan

Very interesting. El, was a realtively well known member of the Cannonite pantheon. YHWH was a different God worshiped apparently by Midianites. The OT and Torah weave the 2 together. Resulting in odd constructions like "The Lord thy God says...." lord is one of them, god is the other.

There are 2 creation accounts woven together, 2 flood accounts, etc- each with it's own specific, and contradictory details.

Its El who says "Let us make man in our image" because he is speaking to the other Cannanite gods- Marduk, Baal, etc.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

There was a great video on youtube on the name Jehovah a few years ago.

The channel was under TheScrewedGeneration youtube channel. The subject was The Watchtower does not want you to see this video.

Just an outstanding video. It tells you how to reference it and where to find it exactly in the Aid To Bible Understanding book.

Awesome.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Sorry, Aid to Bible Understanding pages 384, 385.

• Whynot
    Whynot

Excellent info! Who is the woman giving the lecture? I would like to read more about this.

• venus
    venus

People of Genesis were not at all concerned whether they should worship a God who is the true God or not. Their whole concept was materialistic: “Then Jacob made a vow, saying, ‘If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father's house, then the Lord will be my God. …and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.’” (Gen 28:20 - 22)

• cobweb
    cobweb
    Excellent info! Who is the woman giving the lecture? I would like to read more about this.

The woman's name is Christine Hayes an accomplished scholar at Yale Divinity school. I recommend the entire lecture series which is available on youtube. Its a valuable recourse.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfbxB0kKayCQ2Hf6JlCCDN6z47ySYxsCW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit