Have you reunited with anyone from your past?

by kyria 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• kyria
    kyria

Has anyone reunited with someone they used to be friends with when they were JW? What did it feel like? Were you glad you did it?

I'm scared to try and track people down, but I'm SO curious about the people I used to know. Especially the kids I grew up with. It's funny what the "shunning" policy does to you... it's like a whole part of your life doesn't exist. There are parts of me that no one could ever understand unless they'd been there. Of course, the people who were there won't talk to me.

• Badger
    Badger

I'm not out at this time, but I saw the first love as a teen at a funeral a month ago. She never reciprocated, but we were very close friends.

I'm not on any sort of reproof or sanction, but she wouldn't say anything aside from: "Hi." "How are you doing?" and "Bye". Didn't answer any of my questions, even though we hadn't spoken in years.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

GO FOR IT!!!! Go through classmates.com or any other avenue.

I myself found one of my closest friends from the JW days, and it had been over 16 years since i had been df/d! I was so close to her family, that it was as if I was just another daughter. Then I was df'd. She was no longer a JW at that point, and we became fast friends again, just as strong of bonds as ever. (love ya Bec!) Through her, I was also able to rebond w/one of her sisters, so in a weird way, we''re re-establishing a family.

• mustang
    mustang

I have to talk to one of my "pagan" cousins. I can't talk to the immediate family or ask for news without a "Dub-fight", a preachin' or being avoided.

Mustang

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

4 years ago I reunited with an aunt whi finally left the Borg.

I was visiting some other family and knew she was coming but did not know how she would receive me. Well when she came in the room filled with about 30 other family members she came straight to me and threw her arms around me. We fell onto the sofa and just sobbed in each others arms for all the lost years.

Everyone was in tears watching us. Well except my JW mother who left the room.

2 years later she was my Matron of Honor at my wedding. We don't see each other too often because we live about 1 16 hour drive from each other but that memory will live inside me forever

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Not yet, but I keep hoping! I've posted on SFJims board, which has a forum for trying to reconnect with long lost friends. I really do miss some of the people we grew up with, and know that some have left the dubs. Well, I did get to reconnect with my sister, Xan, after a quite a loooooooong time apart!

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Hi and welcome Kyria.

I have been reunited with a few people since leaving, yes!

Even on this very forum................Ozzie and his lovely wife! We knew eachother when we were all in the borg. Then we lost track of eachother for about 6 years. (we live in different parts of this huge country, Australia) Then we ended up finding eachother again and have caught up a couple of times in the last 6 months.

I have also bumped into a DA friend while shopping one day. He was really surprised that I said hello because he didn't know hubby and I had left the borg. We chatted and have been on a couple of social outings since then.

I contacted a DF friend and had dinner with her, but funny enough, even though she is living with a guy, divorced her dub hubby (who SHE converted to a dub in the first place), and doesn't want to go back to the borg........................she doesn't want to hear the horrible facts. And she likes her children to be brought up by her dub hubby and dub, anointed mum. Go figure. She hardley ever contacts me.

Another friend of mine who faded a long time ago got a phone call from me and she was really scared I was going to try and encourage her to come back! AS IF! Ended up going to her home, lent her CofC and invited her to a get together with a few from this forum last Saturday at the lake. Well, she is so thrilled to know so much, she has now got over her guilt and is happy to have us around again.........as we are to have her back!

Just a few happy experiences to share.

Cheers, Bliss

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    Not yet, but I keep hoping! I've posted on SFJims board, which has a forum for trying to reconnect with long lost friends.

FYI, the board is located at: http://frost.bbboy.net/acommonbond

I've reconnected with two people over the years. I never knew either of them very well when I was a JW, but they helped fill me in on what has happened after I left (some really weird things, too!)

• Mulan
    Mulan

A young man we've known since his birth, recognized me on this board and finally told me who he is, and we have gotten together with both him and his wife, who are desperately trying to "disappear". They are out, but not officially. They are both inactive though, but not df'd.

• animal
    animal

Yep, I did. When I moved to Arizona, I found out that one of the babes I had a crush on as a teen lived here. We met up, talked old times, and re-became freinds.

One of her freinds, whom I aint sure I know but knows me, lurks on here and I would be rude if I didnt say hello to "you know who" (meow) too.

Animal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit