Hidden history of the Watchtower religion

by TerryWalstrom 43 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Charles Gillette
    Charles Gillette

Terry, Excellent, outstanding history lesson. It reminds me of Don Cameron's Captives of a Concept page 45,those who do a history study of the watchtower don't ask for a Bible study later.

However,page 127 informs teaching Watchtower history is not easy for Jehovah's Witnesses for a couple of reasons...1.They have not studied it themselves. 2. There isn't any program set up for them to teach it.

This is how I and millions like me became a watchtower slave for 33 years! O how I wish I took the time to study their history back in 1969.

Like Don wrote and you have shown here, what did we know back then?It is persons like you who take the time to show us this history now that I am sure is helping many on this site to share your hard work and time for us to others.

Thanks again for your love! Blueblades

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

That was an enjoyable read, Terry.

Hudgings was an attorney, quack doctor, self-identified ‘scientist’...

For your Hudgings history file...you may be interested in this little piece of trivia.

Hudgings also saw himself as an inventor of sorts. In 1930 he filed a patent for a "rectum flusher".

(I know there is a punch line in there someplace...)

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Excellent information Terry.

A book in one of your links is entitled, "New Light From the Great Pyramid," published in 1893. "https://issuu.com/grupodeestudosfernandodeogum/docs/new_light_from_the_great_pyramid

I wonder if old Charlatan Taze Russell read this book and based some of his beliefs on what he found.

• Ex-JWs Brazil
    Ex-JWs Brazil

Very interesting! Thank you Terry!

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Thanks to all!

Here are some scraps found here and there...
    _________

Richard Barber's life story as published in (WT 1965)

"The prisoners were being transferred to Atlanta penitentiary. Brother Frank Horth, Sister Van Amburgh and Sister Fisher and Sister Agnes Hudgings, a stenographer, and myself hastened over to the station. Brother Rutherford there gave me some instructions. If we were harassed too much by the police, we were to sell Bethel and the Brooklyn Tabernacle and move to either Philadelphia, Harrisburg or Pittsburgh, as our corporation was in Pennsylvania. A price of $60,000 was suggested for Bethel, and $25,000 for the tabernacle. When the train was ready, Brother Rutherford took Brother Horth and Sister Hudgings on the train with him. They rode for a distance while Brother Rutherford dictated a letter of instructions to Brother Horth, assigning him to sell Bethel and the Tabernacle. Arriving back in Bethel, Sister Hudgings made copies of this letter of instructions for us. The Tabernacle was sold, if my memory serves me aright, for only $16,000. Later Bethel was sold to the government and all arrangements made except the transfer of cash, when the armistice was signed; but providentially the sale of Bethel was never accomplished."

_______

C.T. Russell was plagued with what he thought were haemorrhoids, but he died of cystitis. I don't know how accurately this was diagnosed, but the swelling of the prostate is often involved. All of which to say, I find an interesting irony in the fact Russell had ass problems, and Rutherford died of rectal cancer. Knowing Hudgings had invented an 'assflusher' makes me slightly wonder why the preoccupation with that particular region of the human body in the Watchtower Organization?

It seemed to attract assholes, you might say.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Marked

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Terry dangerous find an interesting irony in the fact Russell had ass problems, and Rutherford died of rectal cancer. Knowing Hudgings had invented an 'assflusher' makes me slightly wonder why the preoccupation with that particular region of the human body in the Watchtower Organization?

Aside from the obvious jokes (kernel of truth therein, notwithstanding) I was reading today about a clash between Prince Charles and our country's Chief Surgeon. It rests upon Charles preoccupation with unproven alternative medicine (note: not complimentary therapies, many of which do have proven health benefits). In particular Charles gave a speech to the G.M.C. in the 80s about the cancer preventing benefits of one anal flush out type thing (I think coffee was also involved somewhere). I mean saying something prevents cancer is a pretty big claim, especially without proof and especially especially to a bunch of senior doctors/scientists, but according to the prof it is actually dangerous to the body and may cause the opposite!

All of which is to say I wonder if this dude Hudgings contraption actually helped kill off his collegue, judge Rutherford, with rectal cancer. Or at least made it worse? Perhaps even old Russell??
    lĺĺlllllĺllllllllllllllllllĺllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

ll

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Oh! "'eLL"!!

Sorry folks!

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Big shout out to you for posting this Terry.

They are indeed gems!!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Terry, I _ALWAYS_ learn something from your posts!

Thank you so much for the dogged detective work!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit