Do You Know Of Anyone That Has Seen A Therapist Because Of Being A Witness?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

I agree. Being a jw causes mental illness. Too much cognitive dissonance, moving the goalposts and you can never be good enough.

• minimus
    minimus

I don’t think I can agree that being a Jehovah’s Witness causes mental illness. Plenty of Jehovah’s Witnesses are not mentally ill as well as ex witnesses.

• hoser
    hoser

I will restate. I don’t think it is mentally healthy being a witness. Maybe it aggravates a pre existing condition. Being kept on the jw treadmill and the unrealistic expectations are not healthy.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I agree with that rephrasing, hoser. JWs are under a lot of stress and are routinely shamed by the Governing Body and the elders more directly.

• minimus
    minimus

I find it hysterical when someone realizes not only was I raised as a JW but that I was an elder for years. Most people will say, I would never have believed you were a Witness! You seem so normal…. Lol

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

You seem alright to me minimus :P

• Ding
    Ding

I think the real challenge would be to find a therapist that understands how cults operate and how they affect a person's mind, will, and emotions.

• minimus
    minimus

John u r a very wise man!✅

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

At the risk of sounding disrespectful, I would have thought this a rather obvious question.

Turning matters around just a little, I once knew a therapist whose clientele included a number of active JWs (ie ones who were at least physically still in).

This therapist observed that amongst her JW clients, abuse of women was a common theme.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I remember when I first realized that the JW lifestyle and worldview might not be the most conducive to mental and emotional health.

Fairly early in my fade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit