And the dumbing down continues...

by NikL 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NikL
    NikL

Maybe it's complete in light of this Sundays WT study...“What You Vow, Pay”

It is all about paying your vows and especially focuses on three types.

1 Your dedication vow (baptism)

2 Your marriage vow

3 The Vow of Special Full-Time Servants

Here's where the dumbing down part comes in, the theme scripture.

The article quotes Matt 5:33 as “You must pay your vows to Jehovah.”

Remember that one friends?

Hmmm me either!

Let's turn to that in Gods holy word shall we?

What's that? You only have the NWT? No problem for this one.

Matt 5:33

Oh it's Jesus speaking here! Our king and master. Lets see what he says.

It reads...

33 “Again you heard that it was said to those of ancient times: ‘You must not swear without performing,t but you must pay your vows to Jehovah.’

Wow. That's not quite the same thing as they indicate in the article. Why didn't they quote the rest of the scripture?

Lets continue in verses 34-37 to finish our Lords thought...

34 However, I say to you: Do not swear at all, neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne;35 nor by earth, for it is the footstool of his feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.36 Do not swear by your head, since you cannot turn one hair white or black.37 Just let your word ‘Yes’ mean yes, your ‘No,’ no, for what goes beyond these is from the wicked one.

Say what?!

"Do NOT swear at all? Anything else comes from Satan"?

Well then doesn't that just nullify the whole point of this article?

C'mon Watchtower! Do you really think the rank and file are that stupid as to not see this one? A scripture that we all know so well? It's from the sermon on the mount.
    I guess come Sunday we will find out.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Great point! Of course the r&f are that stupid though.

• Scully
    Scully

One thing I know is that I *NEVER* dedicated myself to an organization that claims to represent god.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

When the org was pressuring the r & f to make a vow regarding monthly donations, I quoted this scripture to an elder............

(Deuteronomy 23:21, 22)If you make a vow to Jehovah your God, do not be slow about paying it....otherwise, it will be a sin on your part. But if you refrain from making a vow, you will not be guilty of sin."

I then asked him how he'd react if he had to choose between paying his monthly "vow", or paying for a necessary repair on his car.

He said he didn't know!

• steve2
    steve2

In high-control religious groups, it is implicitly permissible to misuse Scripture to induce guilt in the faithful.

Guilt is one of three ingredients essential to the successful running of such groups, the other two being Fear and Obligatiion.

Collectively, FOG (Fear, Obligation and Guilt) ensures the efficient and lucrative running of high-control religious groups.

I doubt there will even be one Jehovah's Witness at the Watchtower Study worldwide this Sunday who will muster as much as a murmur when this necessary information is dispensed.

Improper food at the proper time for fearful, obligated and guilty JWs to take on board.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Funny too how the society completely overlooks the part "Let your YES mean YES"

Now how many times have their "yes" directions and predictions proven to be untrue, or changed as "new light"?

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

How dumb can you get them?

• zeb
    zeb

what will they say about marriage..

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Yeah, they say pay your vows to Jehovah, but then after 20-40 years of that service, they "lay you off" and say they don't need you anymore and now you have no job experience except making cheese for 40 years and now you are 60 or 65 years old and told to go make a living some how.

This is NOT what God meant when he said he would look after us. The Shaft doesn't really play into the picture of it all, but through Watchtower, some how they think it does.

What happened in the last couple years, the laying off of older ones really tics me off.

• smiddy
    smiddy

However, I say to you: Do not swear at all, neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne;35nor by earth, for it is the footstool of his feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.36 Do not swear by your head, since you cannot turn one hair white or black.37 Just let your word ‘Yes’ mean yes, your ‘No,’ no, for what goes beyond these is from the wicked one.

I hope this is not off topic ,however ,

Isnt taking an oath on the Bible in a court of law,or a Governmental Royal Commission the same as swearing on the Bible ?

Geoffrey Jackson and an Elder were obviously not aware of that scripture .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit