Work: Either become a robot, or we'll get rid of you

by berylblue 20 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Your illness is NOBODY'S business, and if they use it against you they can be sued for discrimination. Tell prospective employers that you took a sabbatical to (pick one or more) help your husband with his business, pursue a career in writing, do a research paper for a medical journal, raise the children, do charity work, start your own business. You don't have to lie -- you can spin your experiences to sound quite impressive.

Love,

Nina

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Nina is right. Turn the weakness into a strength. Just be relaxed, look them in eye when talking and be yourself. Things will turn out as they as supposed to.

• jelly
    jelly

If you want the job lie. Make up something that they cant verify to explain the year, like raising children, nephews, etc. Trust me, it might not be any of their business but if they ask and you say illness, 4 out of 5 times you will not get hired.

Terry (trust me on this)

• Been there
    Been there

Good luck on your job interview.

If you aren't a good lier then what you tell them needs to be something you believe. Maybe you "Had the opportunity to take some time off to do some personal growth" writing, research (they don't need to know on what but they may ask), doing things you had always wanted to do but didn't have time to. You learned alot about yourself. You didn't plan on being out so long but before you knew it a year and a half had gone by and you thought it was time to get back to work.

If you did help your hubby with his business then I would really play that one up because you could have alot of for instances if asked. It was important to you that your husbands company get off to a good start and it is hard to afford good help when you just start out, so you jumped in where ever needed (since you were a manager), it was a labour of love. You feel it is at a point now and running smooth enough that you can persue your own interests again.

I would stay away from telling them about the addiction in any way. It is in your past and that is where it should stay if it has nothing to do with your job performance now.

Were you fired from the year and half ago job? Would they have a reason to give you a bad reference? I think you will do okay, you got the job you are in now.

Just believe what you tell them and they will too.

• Hamas
    Hamas

I really hope the interview goes well lfor you hun.

Managers are bastards, to be sure.

• berylblue
    berylblue

The interview went extremely well with the HR manager; only just okay with the office manager.

• berylblue
    berylblue

I got a message while I was at my interview (my boss thinks I am at the doctors) apologizing for yesterday. The message was actually more offensive than what she said yesterday. She is only afraid of losing me because our "stats" are down.

• obiwan
    obiwan
    She is only afraid of losing me because our "stats" are down.

That, and she knows you make her look good. I am in a situation where I make my boss look awesome. But trust me, I don't get the credit. So, I'm looking for other work, not pressured into taking something I don't want, but when the time is right BAM! She's S.O.L., then she will have to do some work!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I worked at the law firm from hell for a while several years ago. Nothing I did was ever correct, it was always something that wasn't right. The turnover rate was well over 80 percent. I stayed 6 months and that was a long six months. I finally couldn't take it and asked my supervisor to fire me. It was the only way I could get unemployment. I even hugged her when I left. She wasn't the problem, the higher-ups like the office manager who growled about every little thing.

• berylblue
    berylblue
    She wasn't the problem, the higher-ups like the office manager who growled about every little thing.

You have a point, tres. Cheryl is not the true problem, the Q. company is. Cheryl, like most others, wants to keep her job. Q. only wants robots; hence, Cheryl only wants robots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit