The Holy Bible proves its inspired accuracy again...

by Derrick 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Derrick
    Derrick

Again and again the Holy Bible has proven its inspired historic accuracy. Check this out: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/package.jsp?name=fte/biblicaltunnel/biblicaltunnel

Part of the Old Testament Proven True
      Read 2 Kings 20:20 and 2 Chronicles 32:30 in the Old Testament and you'll find a reference to a tunnel that was built in 700 B.C. by order of King Hezekiah to protect Jerusalem's water supply against an Assyrian siege. Long considered an engineering feat for that day and age, the serpentine tunnel ran 1,750 feet long and moved water from the Gihon spring across the entire city of ancient Jerusalem to the pool of Siloam. Fast forward to modern-day Jerusalem. The Siloam Tunnel in that city matches the biblical description of King Hezekiah's tunnel. But is it really the same one? That question has stumped scholars for years, many of whom insisted the Siloam Tunnel was built centuries later than the Bible suggested in Kings and Chronicles. The only clue that survived for more than 2,700 years is an inscription discovered in 1880 on a tunnel wall that supported the link to King Hezekiah, although it did not name him specifically, reports The Associated Press. Now geologists from the Cave Research Center at Hebrew University in Jerusalem think they have solved the mystery. By using radiocarbon testing to analyze the age of stalactite samples from the ceiling of the Siloam Tunnel and plant material recovered from its plaster floor, the biblical record and the tunnel's age have been confirmed, the researchers wrote in the journal Nature. The Siloam Tunnel is the one built by King Hezekiah. This is also significant because it is the first time that a well-identified biblical structure has been subjected to extensive radiocarbon dating. Even with all our modern-day technology and scientific knowledge, very little testing of biblical structures has been done to prove or disprove their age or authenticity. Why? The experts told AP such testing is difficult because it's often hard to identify such structures, they may be poorly preserved, or they may be restricted for various political or religious reasons. The Siloam Tunnel is different. It's long been a tourist attraction. Anyone can wander in it and see the pick marks the original builders made in the walls to adjust their course so the tunnel would meet with a second team of workers who were heading toward them from the opposite end of the city. AP notes that those pick marks tell us how difficult it was to connect the two ends of the tunnel. "The tunnel is extraordinary, but these guys didn't know where they were going a lot of the time," Hershel Shanks, an expert on the history of Jerusalem who writes for the Biblical Archaeology Review, told AP. Still, he added, "It's nice to have scientific confirmation for what the vast majority of biblical scholars and archaeologists believe."
  • AlanF
    AlanF

Very good, Derrick. But by the same standard of evidence, James Michener's historical novels must be inspired.

AlanF

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Parts of The Iliad and Odyssey have similarly been proven true. By using Homer's tales Heinrich Schliemann was able to find the location of the ancient city of Troy.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    Part of the Old Testament Proven True

OK Derrick, but what about the other 99% of the OT. It only makes the OT more like a Docu-Drama don't you think?

• Derrick
    Derrick

You've got a good point. Proving the historic accuracy of the Bible is nevertheless important. The Bible is not necessarily inspired because of its proven historic accuracy. I will agree to this point. However, set aside any skepticism you may have for a moment to consider a very important point: If the Bible was proven as NOT historically accurate then skeptics could dismiss its Author. Any further attempts to prove its divine inspiration would be easy to invalidate. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of removing the barriers of historic accuracy in order to clear the overgrowth blocking the path to the one universal truth.

• heathen
    heathen

That is one of the things the WTBTS claims that the bible is historically accurate I don't think there is evidence of being divinely inspired from this article . It is very interesting tho how the bible does name places and people that science disbelieves until they find some evidence such as king nebochadnezzer . At least they have a name for the who ordered the buiding to take place but I think it would be more interesting if they found the name king hezekiah carved somewhere.

• rem
    rem
    If the Bible was proven as NOT historically accurate then skeptics could dismiss its Author

That's not too difficult: the Global Flood - never happened. Jehovah, you are dismissed.

rem

• acsot
    acsot

Yeah so?

I walked through Hezekiah's tunnel several years ago when I was in Israel. What does that prove about the writer of the Old Testament who mentioned it? Nothing, except that he may have seen the water gushing through the tunnel and wrote about. It would have been pretty hard to avoid noticing a tunnel that large in Jerusalem at that period of time, with no trees/shrubs/bushes blocking its view.

I can walk over a bridge to get to my house, then write about that bridge. Wow, I must be inspired! You seem to feel that because a writer of the Bible was capable of accurately describing something once (or twice or three times, doesn't matter), it's a case for inspiration. Come on, it would be pretty ridiculous if so many writers got absolutely everything wrong. Just the mathematical odds would indicate that once in awhile they'd be right, particularly about something that large staring them in the face.

• yxl1
    yxl1
    The Holy Bible proves its inspired accuracy again...

Now thats got to be the dumbest post title I've seen so far....

• avishai
    avishai

Yes, they've also found that there is fact in the Egyptian Hieroglyphs, ergo All hail Amun-RA!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit