Math / logic puzzle

by Simon 39 Replies latest social entertainment

• Simon
    Simon

Please, no cheating (if you look it up, don't post the answer until other people have had a go)

Some dastardly villain has set up a device that will explode unless the two scales are each loaded with 6 litres of water.

You have a 12-litre bucket that is full of water along with empty 8 litre and 5 litre containers

How do you divide it equally into 2 x 6 litres?

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

who's seom? :P

couldnt you just put half the water in the 8 liter jug and then keep the rest of the water in the original container and balance the scales that way?

• Aztec
    Aztec

Leave 6 in the 12 litre bucket and put 6 in the 8 litre container? Am I right? I'm probably not eh?

~Aztec

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

That was my answer too Aztec.

• Simon
    Simon

Nooooo .... LOL

Ok, the buckets / containers are all wierd shapes so you can't judge by looking and the scales demand the amounts are exactly equal so you can't guess.

• Simon
    Simon
    who's seom? :P

It's the dyslexic fool who mis-operates my keyboard

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

LOL!!

aw no worries, i got blasted for a spelling error earlier so i'm just having my revenge :P

up my post limit to 60 per day, and i'll go back and edit out that little comment, and the world will never know... :P ;) lol

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Ok, here's my answer... I'm not sure if it's the most efficient but it's the first one I came up with.

Highlight the text to read it... (so I don't spoil it )

12/12 0/8 0/5
    4/12 8/8 0/5
    4/12 3/8 5/5
    9/12 3/8 0/5
    9/12 0/8 3/5
    1/12 8/8 3/5
    1/12 6/8 5/5
    6/12 6/8 0/5

Yay! Two buckets have 6 each!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

OK. Fill the 8 litre container, and pour it into the 5 litre until it is full. You now have three litres left in the 8 litre container. Put it on one side of the scale.

Fill the 8 litre container again, and keep the 5 litre emply. Pour the 8 litre into the five litre again. The amount left is 3 litres. Add it to the amount from the first procedure. You now have 6 litres. The left over water is the other six litres.

Do you have enough containers to do this?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

First have two people hold a seesaw level....then fill the 8 litre container from the 12 litre bucket and pour the remaining 4 litres into the 5 litre container....Pour half of the 8 litre container into the 12 litre bucket, leaving 4 litres in each container....place the 12 litre bucket on one end of the seesaw and the 8 litre container on the other end of the seesaw.....pour half the contents from the 5 litre container into both the 12 litre bucket and the 8 litre container, until the seesaw balances by itself....VOILA! 6 litres in the 12 litre bucket and 6 litres in the 8 litre container....

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit