Do you regret ever getting baptized

by ikhandi 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, definitely

If you don't get baptized then they cant DA or DF you.

• Mac
    Mac

I crossed my fingers as they executed the big dip.....pretty sure that negated all!!!!!!!!!!

mac

• Room 215
    Room 215

No, I don't regret it, because I recognized it as a basic Christian sacrament, and did so in obedience to Jesus' command. Of course, I'm an old-timer, the vows of the time adhered closely to scripture, and there were no silly questions, just ``it ain't how much you know, it's how much you love what you know."

Ros has commented on this at length on channelc.org, but I quite agree that the current WTBTS is far different from the early days and has regressed to the point where it's become nightmarish. Today's average rank-and-file JW is much less versed in the Bible and skilled at defending his/her beliefs when confronted with an on-the-spot challenge at the door, at school or at work.

• Special K
    Special K

I just took it for granted that everybody on this forum regretted getting baptized.

I know I sure do!!

special k

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Regret? What I regret was having no choice as a child to do anything else. If I hadn't expressed an interest in getting baptized at 12-13, then I'd be harranged about it by my family, my peers, the entire congregation. So I did it basically due to pressue. Then they throw this "you made your dedication to Jehovah and then went back on it" in my face as an excuse to shun me when I realized at an ADULT, away from all the JW pressure, that I don't believe it.

That JW baptism means nothing to me; it was NOT a real, informed choice I made. It had nothing to do with spirituality, nothing to do with serving God; it had everything to do with the JW's using it as a control mechanism.

The only thing I regret is being raised in a cult. Which was out of my hands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit