Baptism pre-new questions - signed anything?

by Phantom Stranger 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Loris
    Loris

Baptized in '65

Nothing to sign until standing in line coming out of the dressing room on the way to the pool. Brother stationed there asked if we were ever baptized before, wrote down our answer, then we signed what looked kind of like a sign up sheet.

Was asked the same question but didn't sign anything.

Incidentally I had never been to a KH before my baptism. The convention was my first experience with JW meetings. I have never met anyone with a similar experience.

Loris

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Hey, I was also baptized in 78. Was that you at the end of the row? Funny, how we run into the same people on the way out as we do on the way in.

I am positive that I did not sign anything.

• mustang
    mustang

I did the dunkin' trip in the 50's. I vaguely recall a roster or "sign-up sheet" at the "desk" (folding reference table) of the Baptism Servant (or whatever). This was most unceremoniously placed along the wall of the auditorium, as usual. I believe this was more for locating you at the last minute and holding the "count" than anything else.

Perhaps they did a "before & after" count, in case one of us was swirled down the drain.

Now in those days, it came to pass that there were NO QUESTIONS. And you didn't have to ask anybody, WHICH I DIDN'T. This was all very stupid. I was pre-teen; they weren't at all responsible and neither was I!!!!

Mustang

PS: I don't remember if I signed it. They may have just listed my name. There was no stinkin' book, either.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Lol Mustang...

I too was baptised in the fifties as a pre teen and there were no questions to answer . The Cong Servant just asked me if I would continue on if my family gave it up . I said I would, so he gave me the nod to proceed.

On the day we just turned up and got "Done"

I do recall at one time that one was given a copy of whatever pre ceded the "Org" book and it had a place where you entered your baptism and date .Hardly a binding contract with a 12 year old .

More recently publishers have been asked to sign their record cards , for Data Protection Act purposes

• uriah
    uriah

I don't remember signing anything but I did have the 'Your word is a lamp to my foot' (Yellow) book signed by the congregation servant as it was then. That was the current book you went through before being 'allowed' to get baptised. it has a special 'sign here' section at the back.

• Scully
    Scully

I got baptized in 1980. I remember there was a table that we had to go to in order to register for the baptism. I specifically asked whether I had to sign anything, and was told "No, this is between you and Jehovah." The registration table was so they would know how many candidates would be in attendance, so they could reserve the appropriate number of seats for the baptism talk. So they said.

Love, Scully

• onacruse
    onacruse

Nina, I only remember that because blueyes brought over some stuff that he's had in storage for many years, including the Preaching booklet. Boy, did that bring back memories. I was baptized in 62 (age 10); I had a very large library of old WTS lit; left it behind in 2002 when my JW ex-wife kicked me out...never thought for sec that I'd ever have use for it (I'd never heard of JWD ).

mustang and BlueB...you gents are older than the hills, eh? LOL Yeah, the "no questions" and "if the congregation servant says ok."

uriah, oh yes, the Lamp book.

Memories (sigh)

Craig

• mustang
    mustang

"On the day we just turned up and got "Done" "

Blues, Bingo!!! Same here. And that's the way it was in those days.

And since I "bailed" with the last meeting of 1974 ("rolled the dice" & said SCREW 1975!!!), I didn't RATIFY THE BAPTISMAL QUESTION CHANGES OF THE 80's.

So, I COULD BE AN "OLE TIME JW" WHO WILL DO AS I DAMN WELL PLEASE

No "PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE ORG" is required for me!!!!

Yes, Ona, it looks like we have a "few miles on us".

Scully, it was about the same in the 50's.

Mustang

No books, no questions Class

• shotgun
    shotgun

1986 and didn't sign a thing...tell you the truth can't remember much about the day..wish I would have peed in the pool though.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

In recent years the signing of "Publisher Record Card"s, amounted to waiving your rights and allowing the WTS to keep pretty much any information they wanted, on you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit