• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Dear Fred,

Love,
    Ginny

• teejay
    teejay

Ginny,

sad, but funny. made me laugh out loud. reminds me of an essay i wrote once.

now, where did i put that thing....

tj

• teejay
    teejay

XJWBill,

Years ago, when I was researching the history of my religion, I eventually
    came to the basic realization you did about the founding father(s) of the
    WB&TS. I think it's a conclusion any honest person would be forced to reach
    after a serious investigation of the facts. I can forgive Russell. I believe he
    was very sincere in his beliefs and, despite his flaws, was basically a good
    person.

On the other hand, Rutherford, with his legal expertise, seized on the
    opportunity to head an organization of sheep and vilified those that Russell
    had handpicked to succeed him. I seriously doubt that he believed very much
    of the bullshit he proffered only in that it would be a means to an end, the
    end being a more fabulous life for himself. I doubt that he believed in God
    at all.

You have to hand it to him -- he ended up with an entire floor at Bethel, two
    chauffeured caddies, a mansion in sunny southern California, and the freedom
    to travel to anywhere he wanted (to "encourage the brethren", of course) all
    during one of the bleakest economic periods in America's history. Not only that,
    seventy years later millions of people (loyal JWs) still defend him tooth and nail.
    Reminds me of neo-Nazis who still worship Hitler. Sad. No… not sad -- pathetic.

He got away with a major scam and put in place a religion that has been
    brutalizing humble people ever since. As you already know, much of the
    theology and practices of the JW religion today (turning in time, the
    selection of men in the congregation, the management structure in Brooklyn,
    disfellowshipping - as you mentioned, etc., etc., etc.) owes its genesis to
    Rutherford. Not only that, but the methods of management remain, as people
    of truth and decency (ala Ed Dunlap, Ray Franz and many others) are often
    horribly mistreated for their stand against error and for truth. If there was a
    Jehovah like the one I learned about when I was a kid I think Rutherford
    would have hell to pay -- or is paying already. As it is, he found his niche and
    lived his life. It's my goal to do the same.

peace,
    tj

p.s. thanks for the insights in the email -- it gave me food for thought. btw,
    you're older than you look!

• XJWBill
    XJWBill
    p.s. thanks for the insights in the email -- it gave me food for thought. btw, you're older than you look!

I'll take that for a compliment, teejay. Actually, I have a LOT of gray in my beard....but for some reason, it doesn't show up in snapshots!

Feel free to email again if you need to.

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• Farkel
    Farkel

tj,

: I think it's a conclusion any honest person would be forced to reach
    after a serious investigation of the facts. I can forgive Russell. I believe he was very sincere in his beliefs and, despite his flaws, was basically a good person.

Up until about a year or so ago, I believed the same thing. So did many other well-known JW critics that I know. However, a dedicated researcher on Russell has spent a lot of time and a goodly amount of money on him and his life and has come to a quite different conclusion. I only know bits and pieces, and even then, can't share much just yet.

For starters (this is public record stuff), I suggest you read the various lawsuits Russell had to deal with in his life, particularly those covered by the Brooklyn Eagle involving his divorce with Maria. I'm not at liberty to steal the thunder from the person(s) doing this research, but I believe I have the liberty to say this: Maria was unfairly vilified by Russell and his dupes. He was a scoundrel and did not pay the alimony he was ordered to pay, forcing her into major hardships for a time. He locked her out of the house he was supposed to provide for her. The "brothers," not Russell came up with the money to pay her back alimony (around $9,000 as I recall) that Russell was ordered to pay by the court and didn't. He was quite vindictive and determined to be "right" about his opinions, even if his wife had to suffer as a consequence. Money and profit for his printing corporation were a big concern of Russell, and he wouldn't make a move unless he thought it was profitable. He owned and/or controlled a number of corporations that the R&F Bible Students were not informed about. Much of this information is in his divorce trial transcript and the coverage of it by the Brooklyn Eagle. He sued the Brooklyn Eagle for slander. He lost. The Judge himself excoriated his actions. There is MUCH, MUCH more than will be revealed in due time to show that Russell was not the nice guy we all thought he was, but a scoundrel who was also a good businessman. Just like his student, Da Judge came to be.

Then there is the issue of mental illness in his family...

Russel's dad married Maria's younger sister, you know. There's lots of other stuff that paint a much darker picture of Russell than even the most hard-cord critics (like me) would have ever believed possible.

Farkel

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

Farkel, the stuff about Russell is fascinating. Are you trying to tell us that this researcher friend of yours is planning to publish a book with all the juicy details? Please tell us when it's coming out! Inquiring minds and earnest seekers of truth want to know . . . .

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• larc
    larc

slipnslideamaster,

You mentioned Rutherford's cook. Actually, she was referred to as Rutherford's nutritionist. (I do not believe that could be a full time job.) Her name was Berta Peel. She was born in the country outside of Greenville, North Carolina. Her father was killed in a hunting accident in 1910. Ten years later, her older brother Frank, moved his family and Berta and three other sisters and a brother to Akron, Ohio. She married in Ohio, and her along with her sisters became Jehovah's Witnesses. Her brother, Frank, never did. He thought it was all a bunch of foolishness. Sometime in the 1930's,
    Berta met Bonny Boyd, who Frank's daughter referred to as the "Coca Cola erise (sp?) Berta went to a convention in Europe with Bonny, where she met Judge Rutherford. Upon returning home, she left her home, in Akron, Ohio, in 1938 to live at Bethel. In 1940, her husband sued for divorce for abonment,
    and the paperwork was sent to Bethel. Neither she or the Watchtower Society responded.

Berta, did spend the winter months at Beth Sarim with Rutherford and the rest of his entourage (sp?). She was at his bed side when he died along with Nathan H. Knorr and others. After Rutherford died, Berta lived at Beth Sarim until it was sold. After that, she pioneered in the San Diego area until her death more than 20 years later.

This is not a "fun thing" for me to discuss, but it is part of "the truth".

How do I know all this? Frank is my grandfather and Berta is his sister.

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

larc, thanks for sharing. I can understand the desire to protect your family's privacy.

Still, the story leaves me wondering, did she . . . did they . . . ?

Bill

(BTW--it's "heiress.")

• teejay
    teejay

Farkmeister,

I cannot comment on Russell's marital travails. As a response to what
    you've mentioned here, I wonder what type of person she was as a
    wife. Even if I had a consensus of people who knew her well (or thought
    they did), it would be impossible to know what type of person she was once
    the doors closed. Like the comedian Chris Rock said about O.J.: "I'm not
    saying that what he did was right, but I understand."

>>Money and profit for his printing corporation were a big concern of
    >>Russell, and he wouldn't make a move unless he thought it was
    >>profitable. He owned and/or controlled a number of corporations that
    >>the R&F Bible Students were not informed about.

Again, I don't see the evil in his concern about this. His corporation was
    meant to be self-sufficient, I thought, and making astute financial moves is
    only part of the corporate game. I may be wrong, but I've never read
    anything that indicated that Russell's primary concern was money. As far as
    I could tell, he seemed to really "believe."

Btw, would your anonymous researcher be none other than Penton? Just
    curious. Apocalypse Delayed was excellent. I couldn't put it down.

peace
    tj

• homejah
    homejah

Has anyone found the graves of Rutherford's wife and son Malcolm? Hope for reply.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit