Hell Exists

by Poppy520 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Poppy520
    Poppy520

Many people of all denominations are beginning to believe that Hell does not exist - but the Bible supports the claim that it does. Examine this verse, one under NKJV and the other NWT:

NKJV - Matthew 25:46, "And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

NWT - Matthew 25:46, "These will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life."

So you can see off the bat that there is a difference - but first, before we look at "punishment" and "cutting-off", let's look at the Greek word for "everlasting/eternal". This Greek word is "aoinion". This word literally means just that - everlasting or eternal. Where else are do we see it used?

1 Peter 5:10, "But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus,after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen and settle you."

The word "eternal" here is that very same Greek word. So, unless you are willing to argue God's (Jehovah) glory is not eternal, indicating that there was once a time when our God (specifically, Jehovah) was not glorious, we have to accept that the word literally means "eternal". (Yes, I know the Greek word used here is "Theos" which is used to describe Jesus/ the Wordin John 1:1, However, if you examine Hebrews 1:1, you will see that Jehovah is titled "Theos" as well. Hebrews 1:1

NWT - Hebrews 1:1 "Long ago God (Theos) spoke to our forefathers by means of the prophets on many occasions and in many ways."

They then cite many Old Testament verses of (specifically) Jehovah speaking to prophets. Verses they list are Exodus 24:3, Numbers 12:8, and Jeremiah 7:25 - clearly indicating that "Theos" can be used for "Jehovah".This being said, it is entirely just to make this argument regarding Jehovah's glory being eternal).

So, having established the true meaning of the word eternal/everlasting in these verses, let's move on to the bigger difference between NKJV and NWT. The word that the NWT uses for "cutting-off" and the NKJV uses for "punishment" is the word "kolasin". The world literally translates to "punishment, torment". Nowhere does this word have the meaning, "cutting-off". Watchtower says for this word in Matthew 25:46, "That is, from life. Lit., "lopping off; pruning." This is flat out WRONG and dishonest. EXAMINE this verse under two different translations:

NWT - 1 John 4:18, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts fear out, because fear *restrains us* (kolasin). Indeed, the one who is fearful has not been made perfect in love."
    NKJV - 1 John 4:18, "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves *torment* (kolasin). But he who fears has not been made perfect in love".

Now, what I don't see is the NWT being consistent in their translations (more like interpretations!) and saying, "... because fear prunes us" or "... because fear lops us off". That is because fear torments us. I wouldn't even argue that fear cuts us off - indeed it does hold us back and restrains us from fully receiving all that God has for us - but that isn't what this verse is saying! It is saying that fear kolasin us! It torments us!

If we now go back to Matthew 25:46, and read it with this understanding, that there are some who will go into kolasin aionion, that is eternal (like God's glory) punishment (or even torment), then we have here grounds for a Biblical argument, Biblical evidence, and a Biblical basis for the existence of an eternal, conscious Hell.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Aw, hell naw!

• venus
    venus

Present earth is hellish in comparison to the earth God originally put in place which was like heaven.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Wait, are you saying the Bible says hell fire exists? Or are you saying that hell actually exists?

• Poppy520
    Poppy520
    The title was total clickbait - but I am saying that there is a basis in the Bible and evidence for a literal hell that - once you die, you either go up to heaven or down into Hell. Whether it is really fire and sulfur or outerdarkness with gnashing of teeth and wailing, I think there is actual Biblical evidence for Hell not being an expression, but an actual place where you are fully conscious after death and in torment. You really need to read Matthew 25 in context to understand Jesus is talking about the afterlife
  • Confusedalot
    Confusedalot

I don't think the eternity of hell is in question, rather the nature of hell or what it represents, and whether you are referring to Hades or Gehenna.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Hell is pretty clearly taught in the NT, by Jesus in particular. Whole chapters were devoted to the topic in old JW study books, because it's a difficult one to refute,

On the other hand OT texts indicate that death is like sleep, with a few texts introducing resurrection. This is closer to JW teaching.

Scripture is not consistent on the topic.

• Poppy520
    Poppy520

The OT talks about death as sleep because, until Jesus came to atone for the Jew's sins fully (Salvation was given to the Gentiles when the Jews rejected it, clearly found in Scripture), they could not enter heaven. Don't forget that through animal sacrifice they were only forgiven for unintentional sin and still accountable for their transgressions. If you think of it like that, then the verse about Jesus going under makes a lot more sense, because they were kind of sleeping in a way (look up Abraham's bosom, a popular teaching). But when He came, He opened heaven to us. Hell is clearly taught, I feel, even though the official Watchtower doctrine is annihilation - I think it is clear as well how they have distorted particular texts which is unarguably evident to push their doctrines which is heart breaking.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I guess I know where I am heading for, then!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

FYI Some great shows with a heaven and hell theme are The Good Place and Lucifer (Netfix).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit