biggest WTBTS threat

by stillajwexelder 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mizpah
    mizpah

stillaexjwelder:

I'm just curious. What keeps you in the organization? If you know it is not "the truth" what possible reason is there to stay in it? Do you think you can help others? Do you think you can bring about a change in the organization?

I know the last few meetings I attended before leaving were agonizing to me. I remember waiting for the first scripture to be cited at the Public Talk so I would have an excuse of reading the Bible for the rest of the hour. I finally just stopped attending because I had such a critical view of everything that was going on. I couldn't stand it a moment longer.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I think the Witness group is rapidly moving toward mostly social members. They go to meetings for social reasons. They make service a game with breaks and lots of riding and it's become mostly a social outing. They stay when they don't even like it for social reasons. Not a problem, it just makes for a weak core and a stronger shell. That explains why doctrine flips and outright failure and things like the UN screw up don't phase most of them. What WILL phase them is some social setback.

The whole judicial system is to control the social part of the lives of their members. A disfellowshipped Witness can still do all the religious stuff, like read the books, pray and go to meetings. Their punishment is a social punishment.

A social club is much harder to manage and grow than a religion. They would have been much better off to have stuck with religion. They would be richer, have more members, and far fewer legal problems.

I see the social Witness as the norm. None of them realize this because they think every other member is religious except them. The reality is they are mostly all skeptics and are there for social reasons. Just my thoughts. Good thread, thanks for starting it. GaryB

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

Biggest threat the internet and this board. I think they will morph into a mainline religion to follow the dollars.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

mizpah said

I'm just curious. What keeps you in the organization? If you know it is not "the truth" what possible reason is there to stay in it? Do you think you can help others? Do you think you can bring about a change in the organization?

I know the last few meetings I attended before leaving were agonizing to me. I remember waiting for the first scripture to be cited at the Public Talk so I would have an excuse of reading the Bible for the rest of the hour. I finally just stopped attending because I had such a critical view of everything that was going on. I couldn't stand it a moment longer.

I am getting to that stage -- biggest reason family -- I know I am being a hypocrite -- and I am trying to have the best of both worlds-- in the meantime just gathering info from you guys on this board -- scrptures to use etc

• kls
    kls

Loosing money.They have many investments and own valuable properties.Their attorneys are always in court for the right to go door to door without having to pay $100. for a permit.Money is power ,take that away and you have weak little men in their tower .

• obiwan
    obiwan

On the other hand, they still have money, even with declining contributions. I doubt that lawsuits will be big enough

I'm not so sure about that. Even the Catholic church had to worry, and eventually offer a blanket settlement to those abused. The Catholic church won't even back up other priests now, unless that has changed.

What is the one thing that will gum up the works in anything...money. If they get hit hard enough, it will cause problems.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Exposure....Exposure......Exposure!

But then.....when there's only a handful left, they'll have the "pickins' " from the liquidations of all the WT-BATS assets.

Frannie B

• little witch
    little witch

I wonder if global dislike for America has a big impact.

All other business from here, is sending jobs oversees. Of course the wtbts is non-profit, but....

They should be feeling the sting of the dislike. It is after all, an american institution, pushing western ideals.

Because of this, I dont see global growth anytime soon. They are trying to convert people who are followers of very ancient, well established tradition, and religion.

When a company makes mega bucks, they spend mega bucks. Usually the CEO, and top managers. I am sure that is the case with the dubs.

I think they will not grow, and continue to decline in numbers and money. Although they may squeak by in the countries they are already established in.

I think they will be around for a while, but marginally. They have already had to kiss up to the UN to get into other countries, and that didnt work. So for the time being, they are really a tempest in a teapot.

That is the bitch of mixing politics,religion, and business.

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

Hi stillajwexelder, I agree with the ones that say that information and exposure are perhaps the greatest "threat" to the society.

But.......you said this:

Do you think a really big threat to the WTBTS is from people like me who are still witnesses and in the organization

Perhaps an equal or even greater threat would be, if you stopped wearing that label. Even if only in private or here (among friends).... The greatest victory would be for YOU.

I remember a Star Trek episode where they captured a Borg (I, Borg) where they were going to program him with the ability to think for himself and be independent. They were then going to send him back so he could infect the rest.----dmouse

Stop saying "WE" and start saying "I". You no longer have your "designation".... you have your IDENTITY as an individual. You are third of five HUE.

I finally just stopped attending because I had such a critical view of everything that was going on. I couldn't stand it a moment longer.

See.... you KNOW. You .... SEE IT for yourself. *but I do understand the family reasons*

I wish you the best

Resistance is NOT futile

--puttytat

• berylblue
    berylblue

the internet. it's where I learned the truth about the truth.

I would never have spoken with an evil "apostate", nor read any apostate pubs.

I just happened on the information. Wasn't looking. I hated much about the org and fellow JWs, but I still thought it was the truth.

It was a most fortuitous search on the internet, just looking around at JW sites. Found this and Hamas' site, among others.

The rest is history.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit