What is truth?

by spectromize 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• spectromize
    spectromize

Ah! yes, that remark made by Pilate after Pilate had asked Jesus wether he was a King. ( John 18:37-38 ).

How would you answer the question according to what we know from the Bibles definition, and how the Faithful and Discreet Slave have endeavored to give us spiritual food at the proper time?

Please use your memory without any assistance and see how interesting the diffrent angles we get on truth.

I would also like to thank Simon for opening this forum and send my warm christian greetings to all my brothers and sisters.

• claudia
    claudia

I read the posts at other witness sites, what i dont understand is how they know so much about h2o and other sites that they say are not good to frequent. how do they know so much about them? we're not supposed to be going there.

• spectromize
    spectromize

Claudia in reply to your question about visiting other sites such as h2o, many do it for diffrent reasons.

I personally admit to having checked the board on occasion and did it because my christian conscience allowed me so.

I have trained my conscience as a christian to distinguish both right and wrong as we were thought from the scriptures. In reading some of the posts I have to admit some were really good but others were outright disgusting. You have a lot of people posting there that are part of this dark world of satan and they have but one agenda, that is to mislead you from the faith and the worship of Jehovah God.

Basically we would want to take the fine advice from Wise King Solomon who said at Eccl 12:12-14 " As regards anything besides these , my son, take a WARNING : To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion (to them) is wearisome to the flesh. The conlusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: FEAR the TRUE GOD and keep his commandements. For this is the whole obligation of man. For The TRUE GOD himself will bring every sort of work into the judgement in relation to every hidden thing, as to whether it is good or bad.

I'm sure if king Solomon were alive today and wrote those words about books he certainly would of added websites.

As we move on into time in this very special period in human history, because of the internet, and the vast amount of information available in the privacy of ones home, may all who have a love of God and his word the Bible, take the COMPLETE spiritual armor that Jehovah God gives, and interestingly enough the first piece of this armor is to have your loins girded about with TRUTH, (Ephesians 6: 14 ) which is what I wanted to talk about on this thread and truth's interesting nature as defined by the Bible.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Didn't Jesus say that he was "the Truth"? Perhaps the truth is a person and his name is Jesus.

Jeff S.

• spectromize
    spectromize

Jschwehm,

Yes Jesus did say that but it was in answer to Thomas' question to Jesus' statement on going to prepare a place for them.

Looking at Jesus' life and conduct and teachings, he could truly say he was the truth. So if you want to say truth was a person, it was actually personified by Jesus himself.

Never once did he fear the scribes and pharisee's and sadducees. Frankly when Jesus broke some of their manmade rules they went a little nuts on him with the malicious questions and plotting.

Side note- Isn't it interesting at times when we really like an individual, we will exclaim ourselves by saying:" Boy that's a true person!"

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

John 17:15-19 "I request you, not to take them out of the world, but to watch over them because of the wicked one. They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world. Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth . Just as you sent me forth into the world, I also sent them forth into the world. And I am sanctifying myself in their behalf, that they also may be sanctified by means of truth."

• spectromize
    spectromize

Bodhisattava,

Good scripture . Interestingly enough sanctify in my dictionary is defined as : to make holy and holy is defined as : living a life of spiritual purity.

So when the scripture say's : Sanctify them by means of the truth your word is truth, we could also say :

Make them live a life of spiritual purity by means of the truth your word is truth.

So again by God's word the Bible we can know how to live a life of spiritual purity.

• Ben
    Ben

So what does everybody think about 'revealed' truth and 'present' truth that we read about in the publications. I'm particularly interested in the 'truths' that were, then were not, then were again.

• JCole
    JCole

Since the society does not have a hotline to heaven, then present truth on any subject is simply the best speculation they have at any given point in time. Some speculations are closer than others to actual truth, so some teachings haven't changed, while others have. The fact that some have flipflopped is simply where the Bible's evidence is as heavy for one conclusion as it is for the opposite conclusion. Most such issues are insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

While many apostates use "change" as criticism, it is actually evidence of willingness to conform to what's accurate. It is also evidence of willingness to later even change the change if necessary. Would it be better if the society was like Xdom, and hold onto falsehoods for centuries?

• Ben
    Ben

"Would it be better if the society was like Xdom, and hold onto falsehoods for centuries?" -JCole

Would it not be better to make certain that something is TRUE before calling it a TRUTH? Who, on earth today, is truly qualified to make these evalutaions? Rather than be quick to call 'truth' things upon which much controversy exists, why not give all sides to the issue and let it be? What would be so terrible about that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit