Do you still 'hear the tapes' of the Watchtower Society?

by Steve Lowry 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Ya know whatta I mean? When you sneeze and someone says "God bless you" do you hear any ‘old tapes’ in your head about how that’s ‘pagan’? At Christmas time do you feel any guilt about enjoying the songs? Can you hum them without feeling guilty? Can you sing God Bless America at a sporting event without thinking somehow you’re doing something evil or wrong? If your church has Easter Bunny hunt, dose that offend you? Can you go to church without feeling guilty about it? Do you think somewhere down deep in your core, that maybe the Society is right after all, and God has really turned His back on you? Do you still hold onto any JW "theology’s"? Do you have a hard time with the Trinity concept? With Hell? With Heaven? If you or a loved one needed a blood transfusion would you hesitate? If you did receive a blood transfusion do you think you might worry (to any degree) that by doing so you would have completely separated yourself from God? If a JW shuns you, do you feel on some level they may somehow justified by doing so? Do you feel strange when accepting the emblems? Do you have any impending doom feelings concerning Armageddon and that you will be destroyed?

I don’t mean to make an annoying list here. I’m curious about the long-term effects of the mind control that a cult like the Watchtower Society can have on people. I know that, once being a JW myself, I personally had to go/grow through some of aforementioned topics. Sometimes I still ‘hear the tapes’, but mostly it just kinda makes me giggle now when I do.

When my daughter was born in 1995, she needed two blood transfusions to survive. When I was told she needed them, I immediately ‘heard the tapes’ roll in my head, but that only lasted for about a split second. Obviously I did what any responsible parent should do. Today she is a healthy happy little seven-year-old!

Steve . . .

• smack
    smack

yes I hear.

No I don't think deep down (somethymes I don't even think) that they are right

Steve

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Sometimes I do.

But I do not attach any guilt to those tapes.

I'm more like "this is just a recording".

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Yes, all the time. Even though I know the Watchtower Society is just a huge business corporation, the tapes still play.

FreeFallin

• berylblue
    berylblue

Steve...did I forget to welcome you? Sorry.

The tapes are becoming less and less audible.

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Yes they do. But in one ear and out the other. Its not as bad as it was 21 years ago.

OCW

• Scully
    Scully

I've learned to tune out those messages, by telling myself "you are free of all that nonsense now".

Love, Scully

• rekless
    rekless

The hardess thing I have going is trying to remember my kids' and grand kids' dates of birth so I can send them gifts. Yes, the tapes play and always will, but my girl friend has help me by reminding me of the holidays. I enjoy singing all the old church songs christmas songs, and celebrating every holiday, easter, halloween, vets. day memerial day, columbus day st. patricks day. Too lazy to use caps.

• sens
    sens
    Do you still hold onto any JW "theology’s"?

I try not too...

but i know how you feel...I still find it really hard...like for example when i pray I have this 'paranoia' that satan is the only one listening to prayers...which is so f#$kin stupid to start with...but its still there like sticking in the back of my mind...but the xmas thing...i will have to wait n see, but i keep reminding myself that what they put into my head was bs from the start, which helps me to stop the 'jw mindset'

3 Sens 4

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

hang on let me check.....

yes.........................yes.....................yes..................no...wait............yes.............yes

please, please make them stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit