Is it possible to decline preaching in the carts?

by Skepsis 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Skepsis
    Skepsis

Hi folks,

I have a difficult dilemma. Since I'm not pioneering any more, I'm reducing my hours wasted at that artifact known as cart or trolley. I want to do it little by little. At first, I told the elders to be at the cart once a month. Still don't have their response since there has to be a brother always present and there are not so many males in the congregation. Some elders are never in the cart since they work all the week and those who are on the list don't like it and don't want to increase their hours.

Once I can decrease my participation, I'd like to never be there. Don't know how to do it. Any suggestion?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Couldn't you say you prefer to actually talk to people, that you feel guilty counting time standing by a cart and you'd rather go door to door? Pretend you're taking the moral high ground and want to be a really good JW. Theocratic warfare if you like, beat them at their own game.

• Landy
    Landy

Just don't do it - make lots of excuses when asked. they'll soon get sick of asking.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

There doesn't always have to be a male present. There are plenty of times where it is two women at a cart.

• sir82
    sir82

Once I can decrease my participation, I'd like to never be there. Don't know how to do it. Any suggestion?

Don't show up. Decline to transport yourself to the location of the cart.

Once the elders see you as irresponsible, they'll pick someone else to to cart-witness.

• Skepsis
    Skepsis

@Xanthippe: I would like to do so but they're pressured to maintain this arrangement despite the lack of brothers. I will try but doing nothing from my part would mean doing more for them. I hope I could do it.

@Richard Olive: In my congregation that is the 'law' imposed by the BoE and in other congregations in the area it's the same. Their reasoning is that since it's a metropolitan area and carts are on big boulevards and places where a lot of people passes by, it would be dangerous to let sisters alone.

• Skepsis
    Skepsis

Well, sir, I don't want still to step down as a MS since doing that immediately after stepping down as pioneer would risk relationship with my family and my possible fade in the future. Doing so would be a signal that something really apostate is happening with me.

• steve2
    steve2

If the BoE insists that a brother needs to be present at the cart, you need to insist in return that he be an attractive, easy-on-the-eye brother - your standards would not allow a brother who is aging, flabby or otherwise an insult to handsome men.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome, Skepsis, and good show, steve2!

I have long, curly red hair and a neatly trimmed salt-and-cayenne-pepper beard. I would be happy to man a cart.

After all, I am allowed to answer at meetings!

Best Regards.

• stillin
    stillin

But...it's a PRIVILEGE!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit