Jehovah's Witness Recovery is no more...

by TimeBandit 119 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I have lots of respect for anyone who responsibly runs a forum of any size but especially one for exJWs - you have no idea of the constant shit that has to be dealt with, usually caused by a small number of determined and disturbed people who just want to cause trouble. It's easy to just throw up a site and allow "anything goes" which typically ends in it being a tool for harassment, much harder to keep control and make the tough decisions to stand up to people which then makes you their target instead.

So respect for everyone involved for doing so much for so long. I don't think you can ever be critical when people decide they have had enough and want to spend their time and energy on other things - it does often become draining.

Once you get to a certain size you also become a target for spammers and all the general issues of running a large website including hosting costs, securing people's data etc...

So while I can understand some people's disappointment and feeling let down because of a sudden closure you may not be fully aware of all the reasons for it, I think you should look beyond the personal impact and consider the impact on those people and their families. Thanks them for what they provided to you for so long and appreciate the hard work and dedication put toward providing the site they did. If you miss it, then they obviously did a worthwhile job.

• CoolAutumnCoffee
    CoolAutumnCoffee

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I was AutmnCoffee at JWRecovery and I was really sad to try and go there this morning to find it shut down :(

I respect the owners rights to shut it down, but I really loved that place. Even when I didn't post, it was a place of comfort I could keep up on and see that I'm not alone in my struggle.

But this place looks great too and I plan to look around here.

• marlborobarbie
    marlborobarbie

Well, I was in shock this morning after I took a couple weeks off from the site.

At least I can still drop in here and get updates. A lot has gone on the past few weeks (JWR Members Only readers know), and I needed to gather myself. JWR gave me the information and fire power against my JehovahMom on current topics, and it was a safe place I could vent when I had no where else to go. I hope I can at least find that type of information and safe haven here...maybe?

I'll miss JWR and the amazing conversations and wealth of knowledge its members shared. But, most of all, I'll miss the people and their awesome personalities. I've deactivated fb for a while, so I'll come here every once in a while and check up on things.

xo to you all.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I couldn't see the "Members Only" section on JWR, cause I was banned. lol. So what was going on in there? People stirring crap up? Too bad, too bad!

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

This is sad news.... I too posted there and valued very much the people there & their insights and support. It was the first place I landed upon my awakening, and there is a wealth of information there...

I feel too that my awakening process was all "documented" there, kept safe, with so many helpful, loving comments and support... so many Links to much valuable information... The site was VERY easy to navigate and search. I can't believe that nothing is planned to be archived or saved!!! this hurts,

This hurts a lot.

It's like a sudden, shocking, out of the blue announcement: "JWR is no longer one of ..."us"...."

No more contact, no more anything, case closed... I think the members deserve better, a lot of people shared their soul on that site...

No opportunity to even transfer ownership, etc?

It feels like the admins and mods have just coldly "disfellowshipped" everybody there!

Perhaps the JW brain/mindset can never be fully eradicated...

• JW-puzzle
    JW-puzzle

It was a surprise to see the site closed ...

thanks to all who committed so much time and effort over the years

hope to reconnect with some friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

That seems like a really crappy thing to do to people that have already had the rug pulled out from beneath them and a loss of social contact. I'm not sure you could handle that much worse. Sorry for you guys that lost your group again. :(

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I remember that was one of several sites that popped up in response to this one almost closing up back in 2008. There was also JWS, where I used to go to in addition to here. Then, Simon decided to keep this site up after all while those other sites continued. JWS was out of commission because the server, TMD, kept giving them crap with their account, back in 2012.

With this site continuing since 2000, this is one miracle that joke-hova cannot claim credit for. When it was first founded, it was for active jokehovians to discuss the religion. Gradually, it progressed to become an apostate discussion board, and it has been that way since. Hopefully, it will be around a while longer--which is more than I can say about the parent religion of the jokehovian witlesses.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

If you're new here, welcome from me.

Marina

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Funny that I was just thinking about that site recently and wanted to go back and visit.

I was a member there early in my exit and it to documents a lot of what I was thinking at the time. I haven't been back in a while, lurk here a lot, but just mostly laying low. I'd like to be an ex exjw but as long as my parents are alive I can't see that happening. It's also great to watch the strange chaos going on the org.

I's great to see some names I have not seen a a couple of years, I hope everyone lands happily here.

Props to Simon, keeping a message board running, especially of this size is a lot of work, so thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit