if you had the slightest of doubt about leaving leaving the watchtower org. go to to jwsurvey.org NOW!

by nowwhat? 83 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

the trouble is listener - tellyawards has a long long list of productions and judges who have prestige and money of whom are doing something of value in communities. can this be said of the oscars (the competition that cedars survey compares the tellyawards with)

it is fine with me that you don't see anything wrong with the article but there is huge potential for this article to backfire on cedars and company as it comes across as meanspirited and untrue

• Listener
    Listener
    Ruby 456 Tellyawards has a long long list of productions and judges who have prestige and money of whom are doing something of value in communities.

The only information I could find about the judges was this on the Telly Awards website

All judges are members of the Silver Telly Council....
    If you or one of your colleagues is a past Silver Telly winner, and you would like to be considered for membership in the Silver Telly Council, apply here.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Once again, for the lurkers, newbies, and trolls...

x

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I linked to one of the judges previously on this thread from one of NASA's media departments. just look down the long list of members and judges and find their internet presence independently of the tellyawards.

Here is another award winner and member

http://www.resourcecenterofsomerset.org/20120718-students-psa-video-wins-telly-award/

Premiere Media and M.A.S.K. Theater from Montgomery High School teamed to produce a Public Service Announcement video to warn young people about the Signs of Abuse

HILLSBOROUGH, NJ – July, 2012 – The Telly Awards has named Premiere Media as a Bronze winner in the 33rdAnnual Telly Awards for their piece titled Know the Signs of Abuse. With nearly 11,000 entries from all 50 states and numerous countries, this is truly an honor.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The company who produces and sells the Telly Award says that the Telly Award is a recognized symbol of achievement and excellence... LOL!!

Facts:

1) There is no competition. Everyone can be a winner.

2) The WTBTS paid to be a "winner" with Jehovah's money. ( Remember Sophia's ice-cream money?? )

3) The WTBTS intentionally used a stock quote ( Insert your name here. ) to create the illusion that it won an illustrious award in a competition that involved thousands of other videos. They deliberately mislead the reader into believing that Linda Day, Executive Director of the Telly Awards, was quoted in relation to the WTBTS.

Really, could it be any more clear?

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

11,000 entries could have 11,000 "winners" of the bronze award.

Question: Since the "contestants" pay for the opportunity to "compete" and pay for the "award", does the Telly Award Co. benefit from more "winners", or less "winners?"

THINK ABOUT IT...........

DD

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It seems you'd have to be pretty naïve, have an inflated sense of your own importance, and lack critical thinking, to actually believe this is a real award. How on earth could the GB have fallen for it?

Actually I think the title of this thread is interesting and somewhat accurate. You'd like to think it's the big things that shake faith in the religion: false prophecy, blood, falsification of science and history and so on. But often it's relatively trivial things like this that "wake" people up.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I don't agree slim as I think people can see through mean spiritedness for the sake of being mean. Indeed after all the laughing and name calling people seem to go back to the organisation. I have seen 12 xjws go back over the last 18 months, most mention vacuity in the world outside as the reason. In my own family I am now the only one left who has not gone back.

edit: or it may be that in general many do go back for the above reason. whatever the case there is a lot to be said for helping people regain a sense of purpose

• Simon
    Simon

In any industry there are groups that you can pay to join that hand out industry awards (how do people expect these groups to operate without funds?). In IT there are various "project management" groups that do it and people pay them money to be a member and maybe be told they are doing a good job. Not everyone who pays get's an award but some people put effort into getting them because they see the value in it. The groups involved often supply marketing materials to their customers - logos, quotes, trophies or things to put on the wall.

What is the value to the customers? Why do people sign up? Part of it is 'social proof' marketing but I think part of it is also morale boosting to the people in the organization who do the work to be told they did good and get some recognition by outside people - for their careers, to put on resumes, to get other clients and work etc...

At the end of the day, I don't think this is such a huge issue - it's hardly uncovering something when they have it posted on their newsroom section after all. If anything, it's doing promotion work on their behalf.

I think when you reach the point that you see evil in everything that it does come across as mean spirited. I think it would be better to focus on the content of their message and their behavior than complaining that they won an award for producing a slick video and then elsewhere complain that they do produce slick videos - it risks makes 'us' look petty, desperate and lacking in objectivity which can be very unappealing to all but the already convinced.

I don't think this is "the issue" that would tip some JW having "the slightest doubt" over the edge ... by a long way. I think non ex-JW's would read that and think "uh? I don't get it?"

And the John Cedars / John Redwood thing? We know the first is invented and the second sounds made up and a play on the same name. It seems very much like it's Lloyd Evans with yet another fake name - it's still him in the video after all. Real "reporters" put their real name to things.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

It's not a huge scandal, like spending Jeho-bucks to fight mandatory reporting laws, but it helps expose their character. That's important because it can lead to viewing the WTBTS/GB as just another sect with nothing special to offer.

With the realization of the "Channel of God" being a sham, there are challenges. Ruby mentions finding a sense of purpose. I get that. There are many reasons that people stay in the WTBTS, and there are reasons that some go back. Sometimes the individual is just a weak soul in need of someone, anyone, to give them answers to "Life's big questions."

I didn't read anything mean-spirited in Cedar's article. The WTBTS paid for an award, just like other businesses, and used a stock-quote to paint a false picture, just like other businesses do. The ignorant consumer is manipulated into trusting a merchant, but that's what happens in the business world. I can only speak for myself, but I rarely find someone who is genuine and never tries to sell me something I don't need.

Also, content aside, the WTBTS's videos are pretty good. If they are judged on quality of production by the Telly Awards, so be it. It's just that thousands of other film-makers get the Bronze Award too. The WTBTS did not get the Bronze in exclusion to thousands of other competitors as if they were superior and blessed by God. I mean, geeze, couldn't Jeehoobity have given them the GOLD?!?!? LOL!!!

Well, without creating the illusion that they were THE BEST at everything, and better than all the rest of everyone, what would the WTBTS be? They would be nothing special, which is exactly why we see these behaviors over and over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit