Mandatory Donations-2.

by Atlantis 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

All things belong to Jehovah, they said years ago.

G.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

just think--if none of the congregation put their hands in their pockets--the elders would have to. soon be no elders..then soon after--no congregation.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

I am not sure if I understood what I was told correctly - so someone correct me if I'm talking nonsense.

But when you are super, super rich/elite. Money does not matter. What matters is how many people you control.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As I recall, it was commonplace, whenever a quick build was proposed, to assess the viability by asking the members to indicate how much they thought they could contribute per month for the years to come, while the mortgage was paid off. On that basis the project was given the go ahead, although in fact I think it was probably a formality. The same happened when it was proposed to buy a flat for the circuit overseer, or anew assembly hall.

What seems different now is that these pledges are not linked to any specific project, they are just general requests for commitment to pay the Watchtower. So the process seems familiar but the rationale seems somewhat more flimsy. Watchtower seems to be presuming quite a lot in asking congregations to commit to sending them payments indefinitely for little in return.

My view is that Watchtower has had a revenue problem for a long time, and they have been riding on past publishing success, and fortuitous property acquisitions. These assets are running down and a crunch point is likely to arrive sooner or later. With Covid19 possibly sooner than later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit