Baker backed by UK court.

by waton 48 Replies latest social current

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder if these bakers can refuse to bake cakes for adulterers, fornicators, murderers, rapists, etc.?

• cofty
    cofty

blondie - No they can't. Neither can they refuse work from gay people.

However they can refuse to make cakes with messages promoting adultery, fornication, murder, rape and gay marriage.

• blondie
    blondie

Sounds very hypocritical; I wonder if anyone has brought this up to the legal system?

• cofty
    cofty

I don't follow. Where is the hypocrisy?

• blondie
    blondie

Cofty: refusing to bake cake because of "sins" of these people in their opinion, their "scriptural view" includes, adultery, murder and rape "sins" in the bible.

• cofty
    cofty

But the baker didn't refuse to make the cake because the customer was gay.

If the customer had walked into the shop holding hands with his husband and ordered a dozen croissants the baker would have served him — and been legally compelled to do so.

You cannot legally refuse to serve somebody because of who they are or because you disagree with their lifestyle. You can refuse to make a product that promotes something that offends your conscience.

The distinction is simple and very important.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

If the cake maker doesn’t want to write something on a cake they shouldn’t have to. Period. Write it yourself. It’s easy. Or find a baker that will.

I can’t believe the amount of time and effort and cost involved litigating such a no brainer.

• waton
    waton
    Sounds very hypocritical; I wonder if anyone has brought this up to the legal system Blondie:

It was before the Supreme court, so that is legal. and legalistic.

A similar question was before JW Ladies in the Nazi work Kamps : Should they care for animals that provided Pelts for the high altitude apparel of the Luftwaffe pilots?

That logo in the OP, and the clothing were accessories to combat.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Cofty " You can refuse to make a product that promotes something that offends your conscience. "

Yes, that is evidently the legal position,and not one I would disagree with. Al I was pointing out was that I thought the argument as presented in Court was weakened by claiming that the baker him/herself was making a personal expression on the cake, he/she was not, they were simply the Scribe.

• cofty
    cofty
    the argument as presented in Court was weakened by claiming that the baker him/herself was making a personal expression on the cake, he/she was not - Phizzy

If that argument was made in the original case than I agree, it is a weak point. The lawyer got that badly wrong. The ruling of the Supreme Court did not base their verdict on that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit