What musical groups or songs were bad according to JWs?

by Victorian sky 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

What songs or groups were you forbidden to listen to as a JW? Were any specifically mentioned from the platform or were you counseled not to listen to a certain song? For me it was the entire Def Leopard Hysteria album - bad heavy metal told it was demonic, I listened to it in secret, Silk's "Freak Me" - a virgin listening to a song about hot sex? Bad association! " Anything by Stevie Nicks (she's supposed to be a witch) and no Michael Jackson (He DA'ed) Also Duran Duran's "Union of the Snake" - told it was about Satan, Tears for Fears "Shout" a pioneer said it was about the 1914 war in heaven - I kid you not. Tthe weirdest excuse I was told was an elder warning me about Earth Wind and Fire - They hate JW's we interfere with their demonic show! Anyone else heard something similar about a song they loved? - V Sky

• Aztec
    Aztec

"Another one bites the dust" by Queen. I was told it had Satanic messages if you played it backward. Who the hell listens to records played backward? I had a secret stash of music when I was a teen. I had 2 Live Crew, the Beastie Boys and New Kids on the Block. What a mix eh?

~Aztec

• Valis
    Valis

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Yeah! I remember lots. I remember a speaker saying that bands with names like "Poison", and albums with names such as "Appetite For Destruction" (Guns N Roses) should be avoided by Jehovah's people.

Another Elder gave a talk in which he quoted song lyrics from the songs "Loser" by Beck, and "Rape Me" by Nirvana. I also remember a talk in the Theocratic Ministry School where a sister mentioned that Christians should avoid bands with names like "Megadeth".

I was also told by my Bible Study conductor to throw out all my Guns N Roses and Led Zeppelin. He told me that Jimmy Page sold his soul to the devil to become the world's best guitar player.

...and then there was KISS which apparently stands for "Knights In Satan's Service". Gimmie a break.

I also remember the whole Michael Jackson thing. Thriller was a demonic song, and my mother had me throw out my Michael Jackson album when I was 6 years old.

• happyout
    happyout

Of course, everything by Prince was bad "Soft and Wet" being his first single.

Also, "Deja Vu" by Teena Marie, which was about reincarnation (it really is, but so what?)

George Clinton, Parliament, Bootsy Collins, because they all advocated smoking pot.

The good news is, I didn't care what anyone thought, and listened to this music to my heart's content.

Happyout

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

KISS (Kids in Satans Service)

And of course Led Zep. (Stairway to Heaven played backwards had satanic messages) This was even in a watchtower study around 1985 or 1986 where they actually "quote" what supposedly is said when the song is played backwards).

I wish I had whatever they were smoking when they wrote that article!!!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Back in the early 80's, "The Tubes" were specifically mentioned in the Watchtower study article. This was unusually blatant for even the Society. So, my friends and I made a point of listening to their albums all weekend leading up to the Sunday meeting, where the banning occurred.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Def Leppard = Heavy Metal? Now that's just bizarre.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Guns N Roses and Led Zeppelin. He told me that Jimmy Page sold his soul to the devil to become the world's best guitar player. ...and then there was KISS which apparently stands for "Knights In Satan's Service". Gimmie a break.

I also heard this - -WASP -- they reckon stands for We Are Sexual Perverts (I kid you not -- what a load of crap) everyone knows it satnds for White Anglo Saxon Protestant

All Fleetwood Mac not just Stevie Nicks (one early MAC was Black Magic Woman) Stairway to heaven ---

All Guns and Roses becasue AXL ROSE is an anagram of Oral Sex -- the list goes on

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Listening to my Def Leppard CD right now and lovin' it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit