Did you actually read the bible end to end?

by Ultimate Axiom 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I never did and never tried.

• George One Time
    George One Time

I read it quite a few times and it helped me eventualy to wake up.

• blondie
    blondie

blisterfeet, did you say "visions"; I think you meant "versions". Or maybe you did see visions.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Some time ago a couple of Witnesses called on my door with a leaflet that asked (among other things), is the bible the word of God or just a good book? I replied it’s neither, and cited the ethnic cleansing of the ‘holy land’. One of them replied, “but those people were wicked, they sacrificed their children to Moloch”. To which I replied, “So your answer is to kill all the children so they can’t be sacrificed”. Needless to say, they didn’t stay long to argue their case.

But then I got to thinking, it wasn’t the Canaanite’s fault they sacrificed their children, it was their God’s fault. After all, if Jehovah asked one of his faithful to sacrifice their child, they would do it wouldn’t they? Well Abraham would have anyway. Which means he had the same mindset at those worshippers of Moloch, so if the Canaanites were wicked so, was Abraham. And if you think about it, the bedrock of Christianity is based on child sacrifice.

• blisterfeet
    blisterfeet
    Blondie, lol freudian slip!
  • Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I figured that as we were supposed to be offering the public "free" home bible studies, one ought to at least have read the thing from cover to cover. It was hard going, and I ended up using the New English Version. This at least is laid out like a book, instead of being broken up into individual verses. For me, that made it a little easier to follow!

The results, though, were disappointing - although I now realise that I had completely unrealistic expectations about what it was going to achieve. Somehow, I imagined reading the bible was going to be a mind-altering experience of some kind!

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Seems like I was the exception, as the majority of you did read it end to end as Witnesses, and quite a few read it more than once. I wonder of it is the same for Witnesses today. I could never keep up with the schedule, probably because I was too lazy and so much of it didn’t really appeal to me. Now I’ve read it all, for as waton said, it ‘gives you amo’.

• AnonVet
    AnonVet

I tried to. I got to Chronicles before the boredom was too much for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit