Warning: A. Vogel (JW-run organization) treatments popping up in the US

by Anony Mous 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I've noticed a few of my local grocery stores are stocking A. Vogel homeopathy products. A. Vogel is a company ran primarily by Jehovah's Witnesses, the "brains" behind the operation, Alfred Vogel, has since died but he claimed to be one of the anointed. The Bolle family (co-founders of the company) is a well-known, (now very wealthy) family in the Netherlands and there have been significant "contributions" in the past from the company to the Watchtower organization.

Alfred Vogel was a well-known conman, he claimed blood transfusions would change someone's personality, he claimed to have studied Native American herbal healing methods... from a Native American tourist photo-op actor. He claimed a doctorate while he only received an honorary title from a defunct sham US-based University, so "Dr. Vogel" products soon had to lose the "Dr." part.

There are various other issues with his work and research (it's homeopathy after all), him and later the company has been peddling mostly alcohol-based tinctures which are 60% alcohol content, basically 120 proof liquor, although a bottle only contains 50ml (a single shot) of alcohol for $15. This is the same unit cost as a $100 bottle of Scotch. The flower extract of a coneflower, laboratory research suggests that echinacea can stimulate the body's immune system, but there is no evidence that this occurs in people.

• waton
    waton

Was not one of these operations in the 50, 60, 70, based in Montreal, Canada? then taken over by a bigger player? generosity to wt work[ers] is right.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I've noticed a few of my local grocery stores are stocking A. Vogel homeopathy products.

I would suggest any concerns you have about Vogel Homeopathy Products you compose a letter to the head Office of the grocery stores that stock these products.

Just be wary of the wording you use so as not to be liable in any way.

What part of the world are you in Anony Mous ,if I see it in Australia I will be writing to the relevant grocery stores myself.

I have vague memories of him in the distant past.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Old news I think. Vogel was in reorganization some 10 years ago and the change manager was a former leader of the Catholic party here. So I think the JW connexxion is no more.

G.

• dogon
    dogon

Homeopathy is total bull shit. Less is more so if I don't take anything do I OD? It fits with JW tinfoil hat crap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I remember visiting the main facility about 2 decades ago in a tour together with the branch office. Back then mostly JWs worked there, the tour guides were and they were very upfront about it if you had called ahead that you were a group of Witnesses.

It may have changed since but a few recent posts I found still show an old Bolle doing the ribbon cutting.

After all, it is now a large multinational corporation so I'd think the culture has changed over the last few decades, but it's roots and owners are definitely purely JWs and they had a large cult following within the org in Belgium and Netherlands. The AVogel websites still denigrates blood transfusion, even saying coconut water has been used as a blood transfusion alternative, although the language is much more subdued.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Ugh. Homeopathy has no science based evidence to support its claims. But regardless, the Vogel claims are especially spurious. I don't know if a place that already carries that type of product would be willing to hear a letter saying the founder was a loon, because I imagine there are quite a few loon founders out there.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

I really don't understand people who prefer homeopathy, it's the same basic idea as medical treatment, just without the rigorous scientific testing. If something in homeopathy actually works then it can be proved scientifically and thus it becomes a medical treatment.

• steve2
    steve2

Homeopathy - science-free but placebo-effect heavy.

• Scully
    Scully

In a medical emergency, if someone said "Call the naturopath!!" instead of "Call 9-1-1!!" I'd say they'd get the outcome they deserve.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit