My experience with the people in my hall

by Freeandclear 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• Freeandclear
    Freeandclear

Hi everyone. I've been awake now for about 6 months I'd guess and a member here for a couple of weeks. It's been eye opening to read other peoples experiences on here and I appreciate all of you.

I've noticed in many, seemingly most, of your comments that you were not treated well at your hall or you have had very negative experiences in the "org" so I thought I'd like to share mine.

In all my time as a JW I have to say for the most part I always loved the people. I was treated very well and I treated others well. I had a lot of very good friends and there was much love in my congregation.

I will admit I was a very naive person and didn't know all the gossip and back stories and all that stuff as I never payed any attention to any of it. Not out of fear but just because that's not how I was raised. I preferred to look for the good in people and so I did.

All in all my experiences were positive with regards to other people and with elders. All of my local elders were good men who were trying very hard to shepherd the flock in their care and to be loving people. I can't honestly say a bad word about any of them. Even when I got DF'd back in April of 2015 I felt they had made the right decision and they handled it with genuine love.

Sure there were people who were odd, or even mental, but even those I could see as having genuine motives behind their speech and craziness, so I never thought of them negatively.

As a youth my best friend and I would often visit other nearby congregations looking for our potential wives lol and there was only one time I remember feeling something strange. Most congregations were very warm and loving especially to visiting brothers but this one time it was just cold and dead and when he and I left we both said the same thing "There was no Holy Spirit in that hall!" we both felt it, it was very different from our other visits to other halls. But besides that one experience I always felt at home in a hall, wherever in the world or country it was.

One of my best experiences in life was the 2006 District Assembly. I got to go as a delegate to Prague to be at their big international assembly and it was amazing. The feeling of love was overwhelming and it really changed me as a person and at the time really made me feel like this was God's love in action. Not sure how to feel about it now, but I still think back on that time with joy and appreciation.

I'm sorry that so many of you have had negative experiences with the JW religion. Mine were never people based but rather internal. The guilt, the constant not feeling good enough, etc..... And I've since come to realize that with all the false prophecy, and all the blatant lying the org has done over the years and always pointing the finger at the members for their "false" ideas that there is no way this could be an organization directed by God.

But suffice it to say I always felt and still do that the people themselves for the most part are very sincere and only want to do what they think is right and what God wants of them.

It's sad really.....

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

Owned a pet store once.

customer: How much for a green parakeet?

me: They are on sale this weekend for 9.95.

customer: I hear your a jw... what kind of price will you give a fellow jw?

me: For you 12.95.

Pretty much sums up the average jw.... (both of us)

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Freeandclear: In all my time as a JW I have to say for the most part I always loved the people..I preferred to look for the good in people and so I did...All of my local elders were good men who were trying very hard to shepherd the flock in their care and to be loving people. I can't honestly say a bad word about any of them. Even when I got DF'd back in April of 2015 I felt they had made the right decision and they handled it with genuine love.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. I hate the doctrine, but to me the people--from the POPs (plain ole publishers) to the most exalted ones (COs, Bethelites, GB, etc.)--are mostly awful.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

**the people--from the POPs (plain ole publishers) to the most exalted ones (COs, Bethelites, GB, etc.)--are mostly awful.***

Oh totally.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Welcome, I enjoyed reading your post.

You are smarter than the average bear if you were able to figure out that even tho there are "cold" Halls that make the "warm" ones feel so full of Holy Spirit, they are all owned and controlled by an organization that has tolerated child abuse and hidden the abusers from prosecution and cannot belong to a loving deity. That one matter is enough reason to get the hell out. Let alone all the other horse manure they deal in.

The whole shebang is a sick, criminal cult. The "nice" people simply mask the whitewashed graves.

Marina

• atomant
    atomant
    lts all like a huge cover up (child abuse) and no one wants to talk about it.They all go about their artificial lives just pretending it doesnt exist and that one day it will all disappear.Then one day they will all wake up in a fantasy magical land where pigs fly and snakes wont bite.What a crock of dog shit.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I generally felt the same as you did about those I attended meeting with and knew as a JW and I like you was a bit naive' about people and glossed over what was really going on behind the scenes. In time, I realized that I was projecting my own good will and good intent onto others and the feelings I had about my experiences were based in emotion and how I was seeing things. The lifelong relationships I had with people were really quite one sided.

Once you get serious about the holes you are seeing in the doctrines or want real answers to your questions and speak to anyone about them, you begin to realize that they too have the same questions and these questions scare them. These once lovely people take on a whole new demeanor once you go off the carefully crafted JW script that is dependent on everyone speaking their lines and moving as directed.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

These once lovely people take on a whole new demeanor

once you go off the carefully crafted JW script.....Pete Zahut

...............Image result for rabid dog gif

• steve2
    steve2

You seem to have lived in a nice bubble of love - but I would suggest that's probably a very thin bubble.

If you want to ascertain how deep JWs love is, disclose your doubts to them.

That's a pretty reliable test of the quality of their love. Watch the bubbles evaporate and the scorn explode.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    JwDom is a series of doors. Each door leads to more egregious behaviors from the flock. It would be easy to sit behind door number 1 with rose colored glasses on and view all the lovely people. But try pioneering, bethel service, ms, elder, etc. If you had a dipstick to check it first to see how wonderful it may or may not be, specifically dealing with the psychotic personalities of your peers walking through those doors, you would immediately shove the dipstick down and run. Many of us learned the hard way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit