Can anyone allay my suspicions?

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

Can you allay my suspicions of WT associated activity?

During the last 3 to 4 CO visits, I noticed a predeliction on the part of the ladt few CO's for taking photos at FS meetings and photos of cong at end of visit. I'm beginning to suspect that such is not because the CO's have a newly found socially engaging disposition (being cool). Suspect the photos are being sent to the branch.

Similarly, one's demographic details are asked for (including email) for the professed purpose of disaster preparedness. I don't believe this. The WT doesn't have the financial resources to help in disasters. Local authorities here in the UK have structures in place for dealing with disasters the emergency services with a local authority area are coordinated by a Gold Commander (usually a police officer).

So I'm rather suspicious. Has anyone else observed COs showing this attention to taking photos during visits? Is it innocuous or do you have suspicions?

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

I have seen it a few times also. I believe it is coming from the branch. One overseer said as much.

I see it as corporate mumbo jumbo. Part of it is the branch is seeking proof the overseer had the class or served the cong. They may use the pics for marketing/ propaganda of course at some point also.

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

I've noticed that too and I think it could be for two reasons. First, COs seem to be getting younger every day and the younger ones are more likely than the old ones to do something like that. The other reason for it is I believe these guys must have gotten a directive from Mother that they need to remember everyone's name by the second visit and so they take the pics, go back to their apartment, and label everyone in the photos so that they can memorize names and faces right before they make their next visit. That's my guess anyway.

• bohm
    bohm

Are you in the us?

on reddit, a poster mentioned a new Berthel department to gather info on people including demographics and monetary situation. You are the second person to subsequently mention info gathering..

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

Hi bohm,

I'm in the UK. Here, organisations have to be registered data processors if they collect peoples' information. They are legally required to explain to data subjects (you and I) why they gather the info, how it is stored, and how it is shared. WT in UK has always been tense at the requirements of the Data Protection Act and has changed policies hither and dither as its advice changes. Thus far, I cannot rebut my suspicions about them as data handlers and I increasingly see my "brothers" as "big brother" but with a generous sprinkling of incompetence!

• LV101
    LV101

bohm - that's scary altho certainly makes sense. I'd love to be there and hounded for money and tell them my unbelieving mate will not allow me to give anything this time around because he only gives to the catholic charities that hound his business groups for money -- the groups actually select reputable charities to contribute to. I can't believe the org. allows it's members not to contribute a specified amt.

• sir82
    sir82

I didn't notice anything like that on the last visit, but will observe the next visit (not far off).

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

sounds a lot like they want photo id's.

Marina

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yes, I noticed the photo thing from say a couple years back, also a sudden interest in asking questions about how you make a living etc. Smacked of sureptitious branch directed market research/intel gathering at the time to me.

Why can't they just be up front about it though.

• Listener
    Listener

The new blood card also gives authority for the organisation to have medical knowledge about individuals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit