The smug arrogance of "having the truth".

by stuckinarut2 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To be perfectly honest there are other religious cults that create that same indoctrinated awareness of people who are not of their faith.

I had done a lot home renovation work for Mennonite families where I live, they've seemed to have moved here in high numbers over the years.

What I overheard from them during this time was reflectively shocking to me in the similarity to how JWS act and speak socially between one another .

They would call non Mennonites worldly people, they would address themselves as Brother and Sister, they were very cautious around people who were not of the flock so to speak. I heard from word of mouth that Mennonite children were not to play or associate with non Mennonite children. They had certain dress protocols for the women and men, no long hair for men, dresses for the women over the knees, hair groomed back with a bonet etc.

They didn't seem to celebrate Christmas or Halloween but Easter, no baptisms of babies., etc.

Their behavior reminded my just how close they were to JWS quite often.

Even heard them talk about one of their brothers leaving their religion and saying that they are going to have shun the person.

Its amazing what you learn when you go and work in people's homes for long time

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Reminds me of something I read recently...

..."faith lets you know things without having to go through the work of actually figuring them out."

(paraphrasing, but that's the gist)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

True Vidiot and when you think about it, that's what started the belief in gods by the ancients, the ignorance of the world in which we live.

The ancients searched for answers to what they saw and experienced so the gods/spirits were invented or imagined to answer those unknowns.

Ironically some people to this day still believe in some those gods envisioned thousands of years ago.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I remember when I was a child, my mother told me you are a very lucky little girl because she found the only true religion, even though my life at home was pure hell. That was something I never forgot as I was growing up. Even after I was baptized I would look around and see people who were and were not JWs and it baffled me back then. One thing that would bother me about what she said was how anyone who was not a JW would not survive Armageddon, while everyone who was a JW would, with one small exception, err should I say huge exception. If you were not doing enough for the organization you too would not survive the big day. It always bothered me when I heard those I was working with, out in field service talk about how they would move into this house or that house after the people who lived there were destroyed. This felt like a ten-ton boulder weighing me down. When I finally learned the truth about the "truth", it was like that huge weight had been lifted.

• blondie
    blondie

My family was somewhat different, but the result was the same, although knowing there were serious flaws, my family would pick and choose what they privately felt, thinking that God somehow would fix it. The second generation, especially, since it seemed more likely they would live through the Big A. But this family thinking, made me always look at WTS doctrines and policies with some skepticism.

So I heard a lot of private debate about certain doctrines, my family actually looking at the scriptures and seeing the flaws. Three times at least it seemed they were "vindicated" when the WTS changed their position who the "superior authorities" were and that the GT had not started in 1914 and took a hiatus in 1918 to start up again in the near future; rather that it was still in the near future (very soon now as the WTS likes to say). The WTS came out in 1969.

And finally, from 1966 on when the concept that 1975 would be the end of 6,000 years of human history and that only left 1,000 years for the Millennial rule of the Messianic Kingdom over the earth, that humankind was fast approaching the beginning of the GT and its culmination in 1975. My family though had several points that countered that: 1) Jesus knew when Adam and Eve had been created, after all the WTS says that he helped God in that creation (and the angel that became Satan was also there); so Jesus would have known when the end was coming while he was on earth despite his statement that he did not know. 2) Matthew 24:44, Jesus said that whenever you thought the end would come, it would not come. So since the WTS was focusing on 1975, then the end was not coming in 1975. And my family was vindication when the WTS dialed it back in 1975 for those same reasons.

GT did not start in 1914 (as well as several other flip-flop explanations)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1999323#h=14:0-15:594

However, in later years we have come to see things differently. On Thursday, July 10, 1969, at the “Peace on Earth” International Assembly in New York City, F. W. Franz, then vice president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, gave an electrifying talk. In reviewing the previous understanding of Jesus’ prophecy, Brother Franz said: “The explanation was given that the ‘great tribulation’ had begun in 1914 C.E. and that it was not allowed to run its full course then but God stopped World War I in November of 1918. From then on God was allowing an interval for the activity of his anointed remnant of elect Christians before he let the final part of the ‘great tribulation’ resume at the battle of Armageddon.”

12 Then a significantly adjusted explanation was offered: “To correspond with the events of the first century, . . . the antitypical ‘great tribulation’ did not begin in 1914 C.E. Rather, what took place upon Jerusalem’s modern antitype in 1914-1918 was merely ‘a beginning of pangs of distress’ . . . The ‘great tribulation’ such as will not occur again is yet ahead, for it means the destruction of the world empire of false religion (including Christendom) followed by the ‘war of the great day of God the Almighty’ at Armageddon.” This meant that the entire great tribulation was yet ahead.

SUPERIOR AUTHORITIES (1961/1962)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/pc/r1/lp-e/1200027525/8/9

Superior authorities no longer God and Jesus but the secular governments, but relative. Somehow that one little word made it a new concept. So while the WTS was very wrong about the SA being God and Jesus, they felt that misunderstanding protected its members from giving anything to the secular governments, which can show what the status between the WTS and Hitler was combative, especially after the suck-up letters of 1933 and 1934 did not work.

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/hitler-nazi.php

Scans of original letter in German and translation

Text of original letter in the 1934 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit