The smug arrogance of "having the truth".

by stuckinarut2 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Yes, I too have experienced this behavior from JWs. Lots of confidence and self rightousness when they first engage you on the bible and Jehovah.

When I became educated about the JW faith and would poke holes in their doctrine, the smug arrogance would turn on a dime into meek humility.

• sparky1
    sparky1
    To be fair and balanced, Jehovah's Witnesses have not 'cornered the market' on smugness and arrogance. It seems to me that any fundamentalist religion that feels they have the 'truth' appears to breed these qualities in their adherents. I work in a store in a small town and have contact with all sorts of people. I deal with some Mennonites and strict fundamentalist Baptists that are just as smug, self righteous, arrogant, 'holy', judgmental and stand offish as any Jehovah's Witness that I have ever met. Maybe it is part of the 'human condition' to feel superior to others when you feel that you have been blessed with the 'TRUTH'?
  • Londo111
    Londo111

And sometimes lip service was given to "we are not better" than non-JWs, but...

It was classic doublethink.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

All you have to do is listen to Anthony Morris. You talk about smug and arrogant! Not a humble bone in his body. The zone meeting a year and a half ago really put the nail in the coffin for us. The part about 23 year old men who are not MS's. He stated that these men are not good marriage material. Why would anyone stick around where they are not wanted. That is just one of the many things that prompted our fade.

One thing that we have noticed with some JW's. They do think that they are better than the average "worldly" person BUT if some find out they have money or something that will benefit THEM, then they will make some concessions. So many "gypsies" in the cult. These ones are looking for the next person who can put money in their pocket, provide housing or a job. These "gypsies" are typically need greaters, pioneers or Bethelites.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They think they are better because they have been "chosen" by Jehovah (hand picked) to be his witnesses. There is even a scripture they apply to this.

Image result for isn't that special

Doc

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Londo nailed it.

WT has the market cornered not on smugness, but on the doublethink in regards to smugness. On one hand.....be smug as hell. On the other, act pious. that way you can have your smug and eat it too.

I was once like this if I am being honest with myself. Not that much.....but it was there.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, well said londo and problemaddict 2!

It is the hypocrisy of being smug, yet saying they are not that stands out...

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I 'm shocked JWs...smug? ...arrogant?....special???

Well they are chosen by the most high himself and will live on in a paradise earth while everyone else (including gay people) die horribly and will not be mourned or buried.

C'moooon, if you can't do the happy-smug-arrogant dance over that then when can ya!! Give JWs a break already!

(Joke)

• Lieu
    Lieu

I think it comes from constantly being told to dislike or hate "the world" everything and just about everyone in it. Keep your kids away from non JW kids or "bad influence". Don't look for higher education or "bad decision, waste of time". Higher paying job? Bad, money loving materialistic "weak" one!

It's all bad and below "our" standards. So sure, most are gonna think they're better than "worldly" people because those people are said over and over again to be "below standards".

Internally, I think it comes from the same thing. 'We were picked to be elders because we're above average and the others are only average.' They're told they are "more qualified" than the others among us. It's an "I'm not the one being decided on, I'm the one doing the deciding" thought process. Plus that whole, I know stuff you'll never get to know attitude that adds a level of arrogance.

• aboveusonlysky
    aboveusonlysky

A few years ago a c.o. gave an illustration about how worldly people hang on their walls photographs of what they consider the most important moments of their life, like their wedding or university graduation. He said really they should have a photograph of the last time a jw knocked on their door as that was the most important thing that had ever happened to them.

At the time I thought it was a brilliant illustration, now I think what a load of shit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit