OK, I know this forum isn't exactly friends with JWSurvey, BUT...

by Vidiot 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

...this, IMO, is just too good to pass up:

https://jwsurvey.org/news/watch-tower-sues-facebook-mark-zuckerberg-for-contempt-of-court-demands-daily-fine

This bit especially made me laugh:

"...Court documents in the Kevin McFree case reveal that Watch Tower has claimed that this satirical video has done 'irreparable damage' to Watch Tower..."

"Irreparable damage"?

A stop-motion video made with Lego???

HTF do the WT lawyers even manage to say shit like that with a straight face?

Jeezus, it's like they're trying to take a page from Scientology's playbook, but are being stupider about it (not to mention that they've clearly never even heard of the Streisand Effect).

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Yes, it's true. Jehovah will undo all the suffering and misery in Paradise, but not even He can't repair this damage by Kevin McFree

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'll be honest... when I first read the headline, I wanted to check to see if it was April 1.

Know what really gets me, though?

Back in the day, WT reps were downright proud to admit to all their "draconian" standards... hell, say what you will about them, but at the Walsh Trial, Covington and Freddy Franz had the balls to thoroughly own that shit.

Why the fuck is the WT so embarrassed about it now that they - for all intents and purposes - lie when asked about it?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "...Watch Tower has claimed that this satirical video has done 'irreparable damage' to Watch Tower..."

I'm picturing this as a response:

:smirk:

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Do they really just want to "out" the author/creator?

(I don't know if the author/creator is in a fade or openly opposed.)

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

It's like an Onion article. I wonder if the Onion would consider doing an article on some of the Watchtower antics?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I really enjoy the Kevin McFree videos, but I had no idea they were such a thorn in Watchtower's side.

GO KEVIN!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "Why the fuck is the WT so embarrassed about it now that they - for all intents and purposes - lie when asked about it?"

Okay, I've given this some thought, now.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe back in the day, the Org's up-frontness about its overly strict nature actually appealled to the more authoritarian-inclined and disgruntled ex-churchy types who were leaving their denominations because they were becoming too permissive liberal (Ray Franz did acknowledge that the Org's main recruitment focus was - essentially - poaching these folks, after all). With the social movements of the mid-20th Century, there would have been lots of those, so recruitment was up...

...but in the current social climate, the opposite seems to be true; with all that's been happening in the media, fanatic and authoritarian religions are increasingly discredited in the eyes of the public, so the more draconian aspects of the Org hurt recruitment more than help it.

I could be wrong.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, that is a great article!

Now that WT is being exposed as the petty animal that they are, perhaps their arrogance may be knocked down a bit....hopefully....

• Listener
    Listener

"We have never lost a case against apostates. They never won even a motion. And so you see the line that Jehovah has apparently drawn: That the wicked or evil slave will not be able to beat the faithful slave to that degree. Because even though there have been hundreds of these motions and cases brought; not one has prevailed.” Brumley

That was an interesting claim made by a JW lawyer and Elder in 1991.

So what if they haven't lost a case against 'apostates', it has not in the least prevented ttatt from spreading.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit