Aspergers Syndrome

by refiners fire 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I'm sorry I missed this thread last week.

Our youngest son (24) has it, but not diagnosed by a professional. His wife has it for sure. She is difficult to be around because she talks endlessly about things no one is interested in. She is really a boring person most of the time. We always knew their was something different about our son, but Aspbergers was not diagnosed much when he was growing up, and both of his doctors were old men who probably never heard of it. He has had very few friends in his life, and was a real misfit in school, a regular target of bullies. The teacher's loved him, and he excelled in drama especially. He was a top student in all areas, and went to college too. He is about to return to college to become a history teacher. I have never met anyone with a mind like his, for dates and details in history and books, novels and other kinds. He remembers all the dialog of every TV show and movie he sees, and can repeat it to you verbatim, until you literally have to tell him you want to see the show, or read the book and he is spoiling it for you.

One of the symptoms is that they are clueless as to whether someone is interested in what they are talking about. They truly are not retarded and are often gifted in their area of interest. It is suspected that Bill Gates has it, and they also think Thomas Edison had it. I think someone already mentioned they are high functioning autistics.

When we heard about the syndrome, quite by accident, and read up on it, we knew our son had it. His wife then told us she has it. She is also gifted mentally, but not socially. Most of the family can't stand to be around her. She had a really hard time growing up, one of 4 girls in her family, and she is the only different one. Her teachers labeled her as retarded, because she was dyslexic, and her parents had her IQ tested and learned she has an extremely high IQ (160-180), but is very socially backward. She works as a medical lab technician. Perfect for her.

We think one of our grandsons may have it too...................symptoms all too familiar.

If you send me an email, I will email a Word document I put together of my research on it. [email protected]
    Marilyn

• shera
    shera

Wow,there is many people here who have austic children( or within the PDD spectrum) or someone in their life who has this.For those who donot know,my son is austic.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Mulan,

She is difficult to be around because she talks endlessly about things no one is interested in. She is really a boring person most of the time.

lol....She has a lot in common with Denmark.

HS

• Mulan
    Mulan

Danny was born 4th in our family, and the other kids were all 10, 13 and 16 years older than he is, so he was like an only child for much of his life. When he was younger, he got along great with girls and they adored him. He is very good looking, and his looks got him attention maybe he wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Of course he was labeled as gay when he was about 14, and he fought ridicule over that for years, because he knew he wasn't gay.

He had no interest in athletics, but was a whiz at video games from a young age, and we let him do it more than we should have, because he loved it so much. He was also a voracious reader and writer, with an amazing imagination. He wanted to be included with other kids but they always thought he was odd because he played with things they thought were childish. He loved little figures, the plastic ones you get and made up games and played with them all the time. One of his only friends, from a nearby congregation, played the same way, and I think he probably has Aspbergers too, although he was socially more outgoing than Danny was. At school, he played with his "dolls" as the other boys called them, and played alone because no one was interested in what he was playing. He wanted to play that way, more than he cared about being teased and nothing we said could keep him from taking his toys to school.

He talked very early and his pediatrician told us he believed he was gifted because his vocabulary was pretty amazing at 18 months. But he remained immature for too many years, and we always thought it was because he was our baby.

Just some details for you.
    Marilyn

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Mulan wrote:

"I have never met anyone with a mind like his, for dates and details in history and books, novels and other kinds. He remembers all the dialog of every TV show and movie he sees, and can repeat it to you verbatim, until you literally have to tell him you want to see the show."

LOL!! That's me...:)) Don't get me started on the THIRTY-NINE STEPS. If anyone says anything resembling dialogue from that movie, I start to ramble out British-accented dialogue, without fail!

And I am excellent with dates. For a while, a big interest of mine was the history of the buildings downtown, and I studied and memorized the dates when the different buildings were built, torn down, and so forth over 150 years of history in an area of about 10 city blocks.

I wonder if some of those on this board obsessed about Bible chronology might be on the spectrum.

Leolaia

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

When I was 7, my mom started taking me out in service Saturday mornings and I had auditory hypersensitivities and one sound that bothered me was the high pitched sound of the television when I couldn't hear the rest of the volume. I could often hear it from across the street! And so I often knew ppl were hiding from us and not coming to the door because I would hear that high pitched sound and knew the television was on mute, and i would know before we got to the door that someone was there.

Leolaia

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel
    GILLBERG'S CRITERIA FOR ASPERGER'S DISORDER 1.Severe impairment in reciprocal social interaction (at least two of the following)
    (a) inability to interact with peers
    (b) lack of desire to interact with peers
    (c) lack of appreciation of social cues
    (d) socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior 2.All-absorbing narrow interest (at least one of the following)
    (a) exclusion of other activities
    (b) repetitive adherence
    (c) more rote than meaning 3.Imposition of routines and interests
    (at least one of the following)
    (a) on self, in aspects of life
    (b) on others 4.Speech and language problems (at least three of the following)
    (a) delayed development
    (b) superficially perfect expressive language
    (c) formal, pedantic language
    (d) odd prosody, peculiar voice characteristics
    (e) impairment of comprehension including misinterpretations of literal/implied meanings 5.Non-verbal communication problems
    (at least one of the following)
    (a) limited use of gestures
    (b) clumsy/gauche body language
    (c) limited facial expression
    (d) inappropriate expression
    (e) peculiar, stiff gaze 6.Motor clumsiness:poor performance on neurodevelopmental examination (All six criteria must be met for confirmation of diagnosis.)
    The following yellow-highlighting is my own personal analysis of where I fit in regarding Asperger's syndrome. So when I say that I have full-blown Asperger's syndrome, you'll understand better why I say so about myself.
  • Jadeen
    Jadeen

I had wondered if you had Asperger's from a couple of comments that you had made.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Well myself and my nephew are very functional Asperger's syndrome diagnostics. Social skills for us were diificult until our 30"s. But we're great at math and memorization.

My grand nephew is autistic. I know it's in our genes. Somethine we have to deal with

• boyzone
    boyzone

Going by the comments on here and looking down the list of symptoms, I get the feeling Aspergers is very common. Could it be that everyone is just "normal" after all and this label has been made up to describe particular personality traits?

Just a thought....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit