“White Privilege”

by minimus 131 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

FYI: anyone who wants to continue complaining about comments, over several pages, even after they know they have been deleted - you get to be deleted too, 'cause what the fuck do you want me to do? Invent time travel?

If you can't be reasonable, you won't be tolerated. I have better things to spend my time on than dealing with your "being offended" shit.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

#hardtoseeblacklivesmatterwhensheonlystrokesherself

• minimus
    minimus

The girl, I love you. Even when you tell me off your soooo good at it.👍👍

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

So, after the fallout, what is “white privilege”? Can it be clearly defined? How can it be detected? What distinguishes “white privilege” from making better decisions, having kids within a family, staying out of crime? Why aren’t we talking about “Asian privilege”, since they earn more than whites, are involved in less crime than whites, and have more intact families?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    Which is exactly why it elicits feelings of defensiveness among white people.

Are you saying that if only white people understood the term’s true meaning, we wouldn’t be so worked up?

• TD
    TD

MMM

So, after the fallout, what is “white privilege”? Can it be clearly defined?

It can't be clearly defined, but you do know it when you see it.

Ten years ago, I was self employed as a tech consultant and ended up spending 3 weeks in Texarkana. Nice place, if you don't mind the heat of Arizona coupled with the humidity of Louisiana

The people were very friendly too. They would come right up to my table as I was eating and say," Hello. I'm Billy Bob Walker and I don't think I've seen you around these parts. Where y'all from?"

And Billy Bob would visibly relax when I said "Arizona" which was a confederate state.

That's privilege. --Immediate acceptance into the social group based on skin color and geographic origin.

I'm not saying I would have been beaten up if I was a man of color, but these guys sure as hell wouldn't have pulled up chairs and tossed down beers with me.

But as I said, social privilege is a relative thing that depends entirely upon the perceptions of the people around you.

Around the same time, I was completely ignored at a restaurant in Georgetown, which is where I grew up. --Left after 45 minutes of inattention. "White privilege" didn't amount to diddly squat.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    That's privilege. --Immediate acceptance into the social group based on skin color and geographic origin.

That doesn’t sound like “privilege”, it sounds like “preference”. Do you honestly think that black people would not also express an “immediate acceptance” for other blacks? Would you call that “black privilege”? Don’t you think those blacks might share something more than skin color?

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

America is going through one hell of a divorce. The Left is getting NASCAR and the Right is welcoming Harry Potter into their ranks. And the kids are witnessing their Paw Patrol DVDs being tossed into street bonfires.

Rome is burning. Byzantium has fallen.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Sorry if this isn't the right place to put this - but I have read that the riots are really about Communism not what colour skin you have. That narrative is just a tool for destablising society.

On the subject of Communism the issue is property. But Marx's economic stuff didn't work in Stalinist Russia because the ordinary people were moral due to their Christian morals. Some will call that religion others will call that culture. Because Marxism failed, the Communists set out to carry out a cultural attack. It became known as the Frankfurt School and media organisations like Hollywood and the BBC (Ministry of Trust in 1984) were used to pump out Frankfurt School messages.

Now the issue is property - maybe you think houses, cars, money. But do you think wife and children? No marriage ultimately facilitates legalising rape, no ownership of your children means you have no rights to protect them from any kind of bully or predator.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Just spotted a typo - should read (Ministry of Truth in 1984).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit