Are Christians to be Witnesses of Jesus or Jehovah?

by blondie 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Splash
    Splash

WHO'S WITNESSES SHOULD WE BE (ISA 43:10)?

w13 3/15 p. 24 par. 2 Honor Jehovah's Great Name

"Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand, are proud to bear God's name and to glorify it."

Acts 11:26 - "the disciples were by divine providence called Christians."

Matthew 10:18 - "...for my sake, for a witness to them and the nations." [JESUS]

Mark 13:9 - "...before governors and kings for my sake, for a witness to them." [JESUS]

Luke 24:47, 48 "and on the basis of [JESUS] name, repentance for forgiveness of sins would be preachedi in all the nations... You are to be witnesses of these things"

Acts 1:8 - "You will be witnesses of me..." [JESUS]

John 1:15 - "John bore witness about him..." [JESUS]

John 5:37 - "the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me." [JESUS]

John 8:18 - "the Father who sent me bears witness about me." [JESUS]

John 15:26,27 - "...will bear witness about me; and YOU in turn, are to bear witness." [JESUS]

Acts 4:17,18 - ...upon the basis of this (Jesus) .... upon the basis of the name of Jesus.

Acts 10:39 - "And we are witnesses of all the things he [Jesus] did..."

Acts 10:43 - "To him [Jesus] all the prophets bear witness..."

Acts 13:31 - "who are now his (Jesus') witnesses to the people.

Acts 22:15 - "because you are to be a witness for him [Jesus] to all men..."

Acts 22:20 - "......the blood of Stephen your [Jesus'] witness was being spilled..."

Acts 23:11 - "..... a thorough witness on the things about me in Jerusalem..." [JESUS]

Acts 26:16 -"I [Jesus]..choose you as an attendant and a witness...respecting me" [JESUS]

1 Corinthians 1:6 - "even as the witness about the Christ..."

Galatians 1:6-8 - ...if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond the good news [about Christ] we declared to you, let him be accursed.

1 Tim. 2:6 - "..what is to be witnessed to at its own particular times."

2 Timothy 1:8 - "...of the witness about our Lord.. [Christ]"

1 John 5:9 - "the witness God gives...the fact that he has borne witness concerning his Son."

Revelation 1:9 - "....for speaking about God and bearing witness to Jesus."

Revelation 3:8 - ...."and you kept my word and did not prove false to my name." [JESUS]

Revelation 12:17 - "...and have the work of bearing witness to Jesus."

Revelation 17:6 - "...and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus."

Revelation 19:10 -"...the work of witnessing to Jesus.... bearing witness to Jesus."

Revelation 20:4 - "... for the witness they bore to Jesus."

Note:

Isa 43:10 "'You are my witnesses,' declares Jehovah" is a reminder about what God had done and will do.

Vs 1: God reminds them that he bought them and they belong to him. (Jacob and Israel)

Vs 2: God promises to protect them

Vs 3: God reminds them that Egypt was their ransom

Vs 4: God tells them they are precious in His eyes

Vs 5-7: God assures them of his continued being with them

Vs 8-9: Now, here's the key: God issues a challenge to the nations and asks them to produce THEIR witnesses to see who is right: "Let all the nations assemble in one place,..."

"Let them present their witnesses to prove themselves right"

Vs 10: God then says to the Israelites, "YOU are my witnesses."

This wasn't about naming a group of people. This was about who is right and who is wrong. Who could produce witnesses for themselves that could truthfully claim to have been a saviour, protector, etc.

This was God's challenge to the nations, and He names the Israelites as HIS witnesses to that fact.

Then Isa 62:2 adds "The nations will see your righteousness, O woman, And all kings your glory.

And you will be called by a new name, Which Jehovah's own mouth will designate"

This was fulfilled in Acts 11:26 - "the disciples were by divine providence called Christians."

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Excellent combination of scriptures Splash.

Jesus is the name above all names.

Phil.2:8-11

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

No where in the New Testament / Christian Greek Scriptures as JW`s like to call it are the followers of Jesus christ called upon to be witnesses of Jehovah God ,nowhere not one scripture .

However their are something like 20 or more scriptures in the Christian Greek Scriptures / NT that specifically call upon Christians to bear witness to, for or about Jesus Christ ,and not Jehovah.

And the NWT of the Christian Greek Scriptures that they base their text on does not contain the four Hebrew letters the Tetragrammaton nor does it contain any four Greek letters representing god`s name .

The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures revised by Westcott and Hort (1948 reprint) a literal word for word translation into English.1969 edition printed by the WTB&TS .And nowhere does the name / word Jehovah exist there.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

@Stillin ... I hear voices in my head all the time ,does that count?

Zing

• HiddenPimo
    HiddenPimo

I think it is because people would have a hard time saying Jesus' Witnesses or Jesus's, and would be saying Jesuseeze's Witnesses...

That whole apostrophes for possession is a tough doctrine to overcome...

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

A man is called to court. He is told to sit in the chair and swear in.

The judge asks, “are you a witness”.

The man says “yes”.

The judge asks, “what you see?”

The man says, “well... actually nothing.”

The judge says “but you said you were a witness!”

The man says “yes, and a very righteous one”.

The judge exclaims... “but you didn’t witness anything”

The judge says to the bailiff, “remove this fool from my courtroom.”

If there are any persons today that can swear they have witnessed the finger of God Almighty at work, or if there are any persons that will swear they have seen Jesus and witnessed His work, then I invite them to step forward and tell us what they have witnessed.

Else, you are NOT a “witness” of anything but rather a loudmouth fool.

• blondie
    blondie

I just read an news blip on Google News about a man whose name was Jehovah God.

Can't find it right now.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

This is a very interesting collection of paragraphs and a subject that it is counted among the many other (But one of the strongest) that drove out of this cult.

This could also build a very strong case against the whole 1914 teaching. Once you fully grasp the idea that witnessing means exactly that (telling about something you saw), then there is no room for overlapping generations. Understanding the concept of witnessing means the "the generation that will never die" had to had witnessed the presence of christ, even if it was not visible. The generation after them can not be counted as witnesses. They simply were not there to see it happen. Therefore, if the first generation that did witness the event, died off, then your prophecy is bullshit, dear WT.

Therefore, it was ok for Israelites to be called Witnesses of Jehovah. They saw what God did in the dessert and Egypt. Once too much time passed, the newer generations had not seen any of it. When Jesus came to earth, then that generation can be witnesses of Jesus and saw him perform miracles, etc

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Just saying the word jehovah kinda creeps me out anymore. It's been way overused for tooo for long so that it has no meaning anymore. Is that the name of the desert god of the creepy israelites during their wilderness (myth) trip?

Maybe but no one really knows. The shit you can read about jehovah in the OT should scare the hell out of an normal person. We can "witness" about that sadistic shit. The rest of what he's going to do for mankind is pure speculation and fantasy!

Jesus, being Jehovah's son must be like being the son of tRump. Who'd want a father like that?

just saying!

• waton
    waton
    They saw what God did in the dessert and Egypt. Once too much time passed, the newer generations had not seen any of it. STA

When Isaiah wrote what is now chapter 43, the generation of Moses was long dead. actually only 2 witnesses survived the trek. plus all the long lived ladies, and the generation that the wtBtS.Inc. applied the text to, in 1935, still 2500 years in the future.

B. s.W. Jesus did not say the generation would not die, merely they would die until after all was over.

This is a very good thread, never thought of having to putting so much emphasis on the smaller J.

I guess all the swearing I heard, was to call for help in his name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit