What is the Jehovah’s Witness position on Unions and Labour action?

by hoser 21 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

I remember you weren’t supposed to picket or be involved in labour unrest. Is this still the jw policy?

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

It probably still is, labor unions were seen as being man's worldly governments .

You could join a Union and not be Dfed but any personal union participation would get you into trouble.

• hoser
    hoser

Joe Rutherford seemed like he would be a union buster. Maybe their attitude goes back that far. The watchtower was built on free labour so it makes sense.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Yes you wouldn't want to be involved in a effort to bring fair wages and cooperative healthcare benefits to people , that would be a sin.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    With some occupations you just about have to be a union member to have the job, so the WT has allowed membership. But they have frowned down on taking a leadership position like being a shop steward.
  • Biahi
    Biahi

I know a JW who is a shop steward, I’ll bet he is not aware of this policy.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I believe I was marked for this. I remember sitting at an Circuit Assembly program and there was a talk about this. I remember saying to myself, "Hey! That brother is talking about me!"

• hoser
    hoser

I haven’t heard this from the org for at least 20 some years. Either I am not paying attention at the meetings or they are slowly phasing it out.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Hoser, yes, maybe that is ‘old light’. Lol

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Fully participating in man made government worldly institutions (Unions) is forbidden. it can lead to seriously be black marked at the Congregation level ( ie. no Talks , no service )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit