Preaching the "good news"

by truth doubter 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth doubter
    truth doubter
    Just wondering. What do those who left WT, and still believe the bible, feel about Matt.24:14?
  • Landy
    Landy

Was walking down Berwick town centre this morning and there was some guy limply holding a watchtower out wrapped in plastic - not sure that qualifies as preaching.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Contextually, Mt 24:14 was referring to events that were to take place leading up to the end of Jerusalem and the temple (that actually occurred in the 66-70 AD time). (Compare what was to happen afterwards: Mt 24:15-20.)

"Inhabited earth" (oikoumenē) in the NT generally refers to the area occupied by the Roman Empire or the then known world. (Compare e.g. Luke 2:1; Acts 11:28) And Paul indicated that he understood this to have already happened before the Roman-Jewish War of 66-70. (Rom 16:25, 26; Col 1:23)

That's not to say that Jesus' disciples weren't commanded to preach to the literal ends of the earth (Mt 28:19-20; Acts 1:8). But Mt 24:14 itself is not saying that, if you go strictly by the context. Although, I think a JW and others also, would argue for a dual fulfillment.

(Expanding out in the context, Mt 24:14 would also be limited in time to "this generation" in Mt 24:34.)

Bobcat

• atomant
    atomant
    what good news.The bible is full of doom and gloom and misinterpreted.The only good verses is the song of solomon .
  • cofty
    cofty
    Was walking down Berwick town centre this morning - Landy

You don't mean this Berwick do you?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What do those who left WT, and still believe the bible, feel about Matt.24:14?

The Watchtower has not preached the true Gospel described in the bible but a tainted commercialized version a different Gospel, a pretentiously false Gospel in other words.

When its also realized that the date calculated by this specific religious publishing house as in 1914 was done so without scriptural support and was actually against Jesus's own instructions to how his Gospel was to be accepted and preached, this adds more falsity of what the WTS has been involved in all these years.

• atomant
    atomant
    Exactly right wouldnt you have to feel like a dork going door to door preaching the good news then have to go back and try and explain how the light has changed and weve got a new story to tell.No wonder people slam the door or wont listen.They must think the dubs are a pack of dorks.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

The facts are Jehovah`s Witnesses have never gone out in fulfillment of Mt.24:14 , all they have done is follow in the footsteps of the Catholics and Protestants who have largely fulfilled that scripture.

And J.W`s have poached off of them ever since.

And as has been said above , what Good News have they preached , they keep changing the goal posts.They don`t even know what they believe anymore , if ever they really did.

smiddy

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Live as a Christian if one must.

After all, ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS.

• Sabin
    Sabin

Truth doubter, that 's a very good Q. i shall have to give it some thought? i suppose you would have to ask the Q what interpretation of good news did you think you were preaching when you were in. For some it was about getting them to the hall & hours. For me it was just letting people know that all the suffering would come to an end 7 the ones that enjoyed the suffering of others would come to an end also. I never had a problem with that personally (still don't, pedos deserve to die). I guess as silly as it sounds to others their is a part of me that hopes it is true. Helps me to cope with cruel things that happen around the world.

Stuckin, actions speak louder, my sentiments exactly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit