Question for those who went to the RC

by joe134cd 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I'm just curious with all the happy clapping that is now going on with the singing at the conventions. What has been the reaction to it with the R&F. Has anyone ever commented that it reminded them of a Pentecostal revival meeting. Do they even acknowledged that something is terribly different.

• amicabl
    amicabl

Have a look at the Jehovah's Witnesses Examiner Facebook page. I even had a try myself even though it means revealing my identity. My wife who is still in even rang an elder with her concerns and he became really defensive stating that his hips "sway" a little when that song is played.

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

We've got ours to come. I think I'll be out and about town and say that I've listened to it online!

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Fortunately didn't happen at the Brighton UK convention but given the increasingly emotionally based atmosphere at conventions I am not surprised and don't think most Witnesses would have a problem with. When it happens at a normal KH meeting is when a real sea change will have occurred.

• dogon
    dogon

What is happy clapping? Elaborate for us ignorant

• cha ching
    cha ching

I do not go anymore, but right before I left, whenever a brother would say "Don't we Loooooooove this new light?" and everyone clapped.... reminded me of a bunch of penguins.

• cha ching
    cha ching

My husband and I agree, it is like a frog getting boiled. They thought of how to do this 20 or 30 years ago, and slowly turned up the heat.

• sir82
    sir82

My impression is that most JWs love the bouncier, Calypso-style songs.

Especially the African Americans - they're groovin' to the beat, man.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

This didn't happen at our convention. But there were many up beat videos shown on the monitors, which get the crowd a little bouncier and happier. so I dont think the majority have a problem since it's seems to be the direction the society is going and it feels good to the average r/f.

At one point, my husband said, they are loosening up. I jokingly replied, I know, we even have a choir (that's exactly how they looked on the big screen) now. He gave a quick laugh, then said, that's not a choir. I said, I know, I'm just kidding.

Edited to add a picture similar to some of the video they showed at the convention but I got a couple of side eyes when I jokingly said we now have a choir, lol

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I guess going with video boards for the lyrics is step one in loosening up the hands for clapping and the body to let the spirit flow. I'm sure they had parts on the meeting where they were up front about this rather than just manipulating the masses, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit