Thinking of writing a book about jw's, what should I put in it?

by purrpurr 16 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

I've just finished reading Alan miller's "fade from the truth", I enjoyed it and I love that it's freely available. So I was thinking of writing a book of my own. Not an account of my life but more a simple step by step look at jw's and what they are really like? Again like Alan miller I will make it freely available in the hopes that if there are potential bible studies out there who want to know more then they will be able to read it and find out the truth about the truth.

Thoughts? Suggestions please?

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    Thinking of writing a book about jw's, what should I put in it?

Words. Plenty of them, too...

;)

Seriously, if you don't even feel sure as to what you want to put in your book, you might not be ready to write one just yet.

So I was thinking of writing a book of my own. Not an account of my life but more a simple step by step look at jw's and what they are really like?

Nice idea, but a bit of a vague idea, really. What do you mean by what they are really like? Do you mean an exposé of the most harmful policies, or a point by point discussion of what they really believe versus what they tell people at the doors?... etc.

Many possibilities.

I think that a lot of work already exists on Jehovah's Witnesses.

1) What do you feel that your book could offer that hasn't been done before?

2) Have you got any writing experience? Maybe writing classes would be a good place to start?

Just my two cents. :)

• Terry
    Terry

I'd ask myself the question, "How would my book differ in any substantive way from a visit to JWSurvey or JWFacts?"

YouTube's Watchtower Examination series is among the best (let's call them tutorials) presentations for laying bare the dangers of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I've written and published 2 books myself.

In other words, unless you are a committed writer with a burning desire to say SOMETHING not already covered, I'd take your query to be an indication there may be better ways to be an activist.

How about 1st person interviews with DF'd ex-JW's as to the fairness of the process and the impact on themselves and their families?

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    You can either do a autobiographical type of book, a scholarly criticism of the doctrines or go out on a limb and do a fictional account. It's not about what you write but how you write.
  • atomant
    atomant
    And its not what you say but how you say it.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

It's a niche market. There are plenty of xJW books around (including the Millions book I collated). As mentioned above, I would ask; 'how can I make it different?'

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

One thing's for sure...

...you certainly won't have to make anything up. :smirk:

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

punkofnice - "...I would ask; 'how can I make it different'?"

Funny is the only way to go, IMO.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Seriously, if you don't even feel sure as to what you want to put in your book, you might not be ready to write one just yet.

yep

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I'll give my one suggestion to your writing desire.

Write about what YOU know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit