Are you a Christian Who Accepts Evolution?

by cofty 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

If you identify as a Christian but you have accepted that the diversity of life - including humans - resulted from a process of biological evolution could you add your name please?

Just to be clear I am referring to the fact that our physical lineage could literally be traced back all the way to non-human species.

If you like maybe you could comment on why you see not conflict between evolution and your Christian faith.

There is a tendency to conflate evolution with atheism. It would be good to show that this is not the case.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP.

I'm kinda the opposite: I'm an evolutionist who accepts some Christian principles because I think they're good.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

No. . . But great question! Looking forward to seeing responses.

• deegee
    deegee

When I was in high school, my Biology teacher who was a Catholic nun, told me that evolution is true.

I of course thought that she was pure evil being an indoctrinated and brainwashed JW at the time.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I'm not a Christian, but I have a few Christian friends, one of which has PhD in Theology, and he believes in evolution.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I guess I’m more and more in the spiritual not religious camp nowadays, but for three or four years after leaving the JWs, I attended a mainline Christian church. I was even a deacon. And I accepted the overwhelming evidence of evolution.

I found that any who lean in that direction should read The Language of God. While I didn’t agree with all his views (the writer is in the Evangelical camp), he makes an appealing case for evolution and science.

Toward my last years as a JW, I was struggling with Watchtower’s literal interpretation of Genesis, they being rigidly opposed to “macroevolution” just because of the words “according to their kinds”. I was also having a hard time believing in the literal Adam & Eve, Garden of Eden story--or a Global Flood. But I kept hoping that their would be “new light” and the Society would make some adjustments in that regard.

Most mainline Protestants denominations do not find evolution at odds with their central belief in Christ. The Catholic Church as well has affirmed evolution.

Of course, most Evangelicals, fundamentalists, charismatics, Christian-based cults vehemently disagree.

• oppostate
    oppostate

I don't see a problem with a Divine Entity allowing life to evolve after creation. Why not?

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@oppostate Here's the problem for Christians: once you accept that life evolved, you dismiss Adam and Eve from being our "parents". Hence with no Original Sin committed, you therefore have to postulate that Jesus came to earth to die for... what? Mythical people? The whole house of cards collapses on top of a deity who sacrificed his life to compensate for a sin that never happened 6,000 years ago.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    deegee - "...a Catholic nun told me that evolution is true..."

Yeah, that fact alone would've pretty much clinched any loyal JW's rejection of it... :smirk:

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Londo111 - "...Toward my last years as a JW, I was struggling with Watchtower’s literal interpretation of Genesis, they being rigidly opposed to 'macroevolution' just because of the words 'according to their kinds'. I was also having a hard time believing in the literal Adam & Eve, Garden of Eden story--or a Global Flood. But I kept hoping that their would be 'new light' and the Society would make some adjustments in that regard..."

Are you sure you're not me in disguise?

Seriously though, one of my little rubicon moments was realizing - after going through the same - was realizing that the WTS could never budge on it for ideological and cosmological reasons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit