JW's and the National Anthem/Flag

by Anony Mous 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Steel
    Steel

My wife will stand but not sing. I always thought that was the JW policy or the current one.

• JWPrince
    JWPrince

sir82 That's exactly what I used to do! When the game was about to start, I would go grab a hot dog and beer, and be walking back to my seat usually as they would ask everyone to rise. Since I was already standing, I could stay standing and no one was the wiser. Lol

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

"Please stand during the announcements and song--you may be seated". Maybe we should all face the blue square with our shining faces. How about a new stake, crown, and logo pin?

I used to avoid the events. Last time I got caught was a funeral for a vet. I was respectful for it all. As for all the arguments, it is worship and a prayer being required of everyone.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

All moot, IMO.

The real reason for defying displays of patriotism or nationalism was to visually stand out as contrarian and iconoclastic, and set up the rank-and-file as pious martyrs “suffering for righteousness’ sake”.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I see there is some concern now among the JW "upper management" about the sitting for the national anthem. Since sitting or taking a knee is considered a political or racial statement, there seems to be some internal buzz (from a very good source) that standing for the national anthem may be allowed at some point as long as you don't put your hand on your heart, sing or some other motion that displays "worship".

I already commented that we are allowed to stand up in court when a judge enters the room to show respect for the position. Why not stand up and show respect for the country? I would not put my hand over my heart to pledge allegiance to the judge. But standing is just a matter of respect for the position.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit