George Cook former DO, now just an elder at Prince's home congregation KH

by oppostate 21 Replies latest social current

• oppostate
    oppostate

George Cook, OMG, George F'ing Cook, whattttt!

Caption: Elder George Cook (right), one of the nine elders of the small 90-person congregation, said Prince regularly ‘witnessed’ alone in the community and in groups

George Cook was DO in our District over two decades ago. He was very detail oriented and very eccentric. He was very controlling and very devoted to Momma WT. It's interesting he still does his hair in a "overlapping" comb-over fashion and wears 1990's eyeglass frames.

His real family name is Greek. But they shortened it to Cook. This once powerful District Overseer must have been put to retirement as with other DO's. The article says he's 81 years old. He wielded a lot of power and expected total allegiance. It is interesting to see how the mighty have fallen. He was once in charge of the Caribbean, traveling the islands and having a grand ol' time. Now he just looks like any little old man in a suit a bit too big for him.

Did you ever get to meet George Cook?

(I want to thank forum member ToesUp for bringing our attention in his post
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5170508077203456/if-prince-had-addiction-prescriptions-drugs-personal-matter-but-if-want-grow-beard-attend-college?page=1#/6302132571471872
    about an article in the Daily Mail
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3555735/Inside-Prince-s-Jehovah-s-Witness-Church-singer-went-door-door-Bible-hand-large-cash-donations-years.htmlin which these photos appear.I know there are quite a lot of posts about Prince, and I didn't want to fork this information needlessly, yet I feel I may have been hijacking his post since I was commenting on George Cook and the KH itself).

From that article in the Daily Mail here's the KH of the Congregation Prince belonged to:

Caption: Prince, who officially converted to the religion in 2003, is associated with the Jehovah’s Witness Kingdom Hall, Saint Louis Park congregation in Minneapolis

The photo of the inside made me notice some interesting details.

Caption: The singer attended a 50-minute ceremony at the church (pictured) on March 23 to commemorate the death of Jesus – an event celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses all over the world

It's an old KH style, that was common back in the 80's. The side windows and the ugly light fixtures are from that style, and not the more modern RBC's window-less walls with parabolic light fixtures.

Also the chrome legged chairs are what most KH used three decades ago, and in what hideous colors. Around here in New England the RBC changed over to a similar yet wider steel frame construction, painted and not chromed, and also a little bit wider and more plush by a half an inch on the seat.

They're obviously meeting for going out in service and the projection screen is down ??? I thought they were moving away from projectors and screens, there seems to be a large screen tv at the right hand side of the photo.

If as the article points out Prince gave "gifts of mercy", in considerable amounts of the monetary sort, then that dough wasn't making it to the local congregation's remodeling of the KH. It seems Momma WT must have been the recipient instead.

• Landy
    Landy
    To be fair he is 81. Less a case of the mghty have fallen than a case of the mighty getting old and wanting a more settled life.
  • Hecce
    Hecce

How about cremation within a week?

Any comments?

• Landy
    Landy
    I think it would be unfair to cremate him just because he's 81!
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp
    They put him out to pasture. No longer any use to them. I loved how they used to tell me to reach out for a position (MS) and told me they would like to "use" me. There are several different definitions of the word "use."
  • Robo Bobo
    Robo Bobo

Hmm, a former DO assigned to a congregation with 8 elders already...

HQ may have arranged for wealthy locals to help him out...

No doubt receiving "gifts of mercy"...

Decides a drug addiction is a "personal matter"...

SPIDER SENSE TINGLING!!!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its funny how different a well positioned JWS talks when they are being filmed by outside media in comparison to what they say or speak at Kingdom Halls in front of other JWS.

Sweet pretentious propaganda is what usually comes out, slightly diverse from giving a talk up on the podium as it were..

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

George Cook former DO, now just an elder at Prince's home congregation KH

.........I used to be an Important WBT$ D/O..

Then I got Demoted...Now I`m Important Again!..

.......................Thank You Prince!..

............I said the "Prince" word..Heh-heh!..

• oppostate
    oppostate

So from the pictures of the KH, it sure doesn't look like it has been remodeled in a while. All the fixtures and chairs are older by more than a couple of decades.

If Prince's money wasn't used locally to improve the KH then the WT has already been siphoning off his contributions to go to the, ehem, "world wide preaching work", ehem.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Did you ever get to meet George Cook?

Oh, yeah! He was my DO for a while. We called him "by the book Cook". I rehearsed my first assembly part under him. Soon after we had him, I heard from someone really in the know that his next district complained about and disliked him such that the org threatened to remove him from his position. His reply was "What else can I do? This is all I've ever done."

What do guys like him really think of the what JWdom is now? What does he really think about the new "generation" teaching? It would seem that he has to have some disagreements, gripes, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit