Did Ray Franz Help You To Get Out of “The Truth”?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I was already heading out but It certainly reaffirmed the things that were already at work in my mind. Thanks Ray!

just saying!

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I had a look at one chapter of one of his books (I can't remember which one) on Amazon via their "Look Inside" feature. It was about blood transfusions.

The part that really hit me was whether taking a blood transfusion was the same as eating blood. The illustration he used was that if a man who was starving to death was given a transfusion would he be 'nourished' as if he had eaten something, or would he still be starving to death. Answer: He would still be starving to death, therefore eating blood and transfusing blood were two completely different things.

That had a major impact on me. Thank you Ray Franz!

• zophar
    zophar

A number of years ago, about 25 yrs ago now, I did business with a man who was a re-activated JW after being DF. We just had a short conversation. He told me that while he was DF he had read Ray Franz's book CofC. I was an elder and he knew that, and he told me it was eye opening and very revealing. Not much more was said, but after I read it for myself, I wondered, why he ever went back to get reinstated. Of course, it could have been family pressure etc.

What I remember most was the way he portrayed the book as honestly written and eye opening. Up until that time and for some years later I had expected a vengeful hate ridden memoir from Franz. How refreshing when I read for myself the honest portrayal from a man who truly did suffer a "Crisis of Conscience."

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Yes. It played a great part in helping me understand the real problem with the WT. For years, I had heard everything wrong about the WT on this site and others.

However, it was Ray Franz who made it clear to me that the fruit by which we should judge others, including the organization, are not those bolstered by the WT. If you preach to the entire planet, what good is it if the content of your message is wrong? JWs judge excessively while demanding absolute loyalty to their leaders. Imagine this: You see a man talking. Another raises his hand and contradicts him on a meaningless detail. The first one calls him names and throws him out to the curb. Does that look Christian to you? Does this man look humble and meek to you? Then why is this type of behaviour accepted from the WT? (It wasn't exactly in these words, but in was the gist of it).

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think CoC played a part in me seeing that the problems with the Borg was not just the local Cong or Circuit or some of the imperfect humans in positions there. Instead, Instead of there being a "few bad apples", it became more clear that the entire barrel was "rotten".

As noted above, the argument about eating blood vs transfusing blood was very convincing. Evidently not convincing enough for 2/3 of the GB though.

Also convincing was the fact that he was not setting up his own Church and making an effort to attract followers. Surely he could have profited greatly in his own "ministry" as he was eloquent with words and very knowledgeable about the Bible. I was convinced he was a humble, sincere man who had been greatly wronged and then demonized by WTS.

RIP Ray

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I was already done but read his book out of curiosity, good book!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Ironically it was on my way to the meeting that I got a call from the local library that CoC had arrived and was ready for me to pick up. Hence to say I was late for the meeting. I remember going into the library and seeing the book on the counter, and feeling a shiver run down my spine. I knew once I opened that book that that was going to be the beginning of the end for me. This proved to be correct although by this time I was already heavily researching the org on the net. I read the hole book in less than 5 days and physically walked out the door 12 months latter.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I had already left, but after I left I read many “apostate” books, his included. I HATE this vile, corrupt organization that robbed me of a childhood.

• thatsmealright
    thatsmealright

I was already out, but I appreciated presentation and wrote ray a letter. The material was a lot more organized in reasoning than I am, so it helped to refer others.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

XJW material almost never turns someone "apostate".

It just helps you realize you already are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit