JWs and legalized Marijuana

by jws 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

DOC says ......... Jws have some half-cocked idea regarding drug use (and even tobacco, I think) that links it to "spiritualism"

Ironically alcohol for centuries was called spirits in many cultures.

Based most likely on the notion that when one drinks this product one immerses themselves into the spirit world.

I can see some problems with marijuana and the JWS leaders for it might be taken in similarity to smoking tobacco for pleasure, which has always been legal.

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey
    Imagine the mass exodus if they banned alcohol?
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    aintenoughwiskey: Imagine the mass exodus if they banned alcohol?

With a username like that..I can see why you would say that! Lol!

The JWs' use of alcohol is such a paradox.

On one hand, the WT makes a huge deal out of the ways that their brand of medicine can "reduce the need for blood transfusion" yet on the other hand, alcohol use increases the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding.

http://patient.info/doctor/oesophageal-varices

Bleeding from oesophageal varices is responsible for 5-11% of all cases of upper gastrointestinal bleeding
    In Western countries, alcoholic and viral cirrhosis are the leading causes of portal hypertension and oesophageal varices

It is no surprise that many JWs experience gastrointestinal bleeding.

Why hasn't the WT banned alcohol use? A step like that would definitely have reduced the number of JWs who would have required a blood transfusion.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Can you imagine Stephen Lett high? How bizarre would that be?

Are you suggesting that he isn't under the influence of something when he gives his JW/TV broadcasts? Surely you jest!

• Chook
    Chook

The whole problem with government and church's they fail to understand that the human body has cannabinoid receptors that only the marijuana plant can activate or satisfy. Its health benefits out weigh any negative affects. when I was still going to meetings I was consuming marijuana edibles for a health problem ,which I fully cured my problem of going to toilet 3or4 times a night, this problem existed for years ,after one month fixed. Every human has the right to self medicate.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I suspect that used as medicine, marijuana would be accepted by the younger generation of Elders. I think there are probably some Witnesses whose consciences would allow them to eat Brownies. (They just wouldn't let it be known, so as to not stumble weaker brothers and sisters.)

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I cannot try anything stupid for risk of losing my very enjoyable job. I tell you, though, the minute I retire, I am trying some edible delightful pot. I hear it's so much fun, can hardly wait!

DY

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    NotenoughwhiskeyImagine the mass exodus if they banned alcohol?

Forget bunker paranoia...now that would be a test of faith!!

Orphancrow Wow I had no idea jw's suffered from high levels of GI bleeds. If they get varicies though they need a blood transfusion, no question. Many must die. Another dangerous blood statistic they keep under wraps.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

https://www.salk.edu/news-release/cannabinoids-remove-plaque-forming-alzheimers-proteins-from-brain-cells/

Cannabinoids remove plaque-forming Alzheimer’s proteins from brain cells
    Preliminary lab studies at the Salk Institute find THC reduces beta amyloid proteins in human neurons
    LA JOLLA–Salk Institute scientists have found preliminary evidence that tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other compounds found in marijuana can promote the cellular removal of amyloid beta, a toxic protein associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
    While these exploratory studies were conducted in neurons grown in the laboratory, they may offer insight into the role of inflammation in Alzheimer’s disease and could provide clues to developing novel therapeutics for the disorder.
    “Although other studies have offered evidence that cannabinoids might be neuroprotective against the symptoms of Alzheimer’s, we believe our study is the first to demonstrate that cannabinoids affect both inflammation and amyloid beta accumulation in nerve cells,” says Salk Professor David Schubert, the senior author of the paper.
    Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disorder that leads to memory loss and can seriously impair a person’s ability to carry out daily tasks. It affects more than five million Americans according to the National Institutes of Health, and is a leading cause of death. It is also the most common cause of dementia and its incidence is expected to triple during the next 50 years.
    It has long been known that amyloid beta accumulates within the nerve cells of the aging brain well before the appearance of Alzheimer’s disease symptoms and plaques. Amyloid beta is a major component of the plaque deposits that are a hallmark of the disease. But the precise role of amyloid beta and the plaques it forms in the disease process remains unclear.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I take CBD for its anti inflammatory and pain relieving properties. I started with crystals then oil and paste and now I vape it. There is no THC or nicotine and I have no intentions of starting smoking.

I wonder if any of that would be categorised as "sinning".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit