"You will never grow old in this present system of things" -- some campaign tools

by FatFreek 2005 46 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

My grandmother was born in 1918, after the first great World War, and right after her one brother died young from the Spanish influenza epidemic. Being in Pennsylvania, she was exposed to WT literature all growing up, as her family would sometimes accept magazines at the doors, etc. Finally, she became a JW in 1983 along with my father and mother. I was born in 1979. All I heard growing up from the podium to the assemblies, was how the New Order / New System was just around the corner, how none of us would die, and how I'd never grow old or have to worry about the standard "Worldly" problems. My grandmother died in 2003, at age 85. Both of my parents died as well. None of them were supposed to get old and die according to Rutherford. I shouldn't have even been born anywhere except the New System. Here I am. My family are all DEAD. Doesn't that make the WT a false prophet? I'd say so. I broke the pattern. My son is 12. He's never seen or heard of a Kingdom Hall. JW's? A nutty cult I was raised in, to be avoided unless he wants to end up a mess like me.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

And yet, if you raise the failed 1914 generation prophecy, many Witnesses will say "Oh, but we're not serving with a date in mind," or something to that effect. That has become the new response which is simply a slogan designed to turn off their ability to critically analyze failed prophecy. It makes me so angry because, once more, this organization wants it both ways--they want to whip up urgency by saying that we're at the very end of the end times and yet, they want to buffer failure by saying at the same time that they aren't serving with a date in mind.

Well, if dates don't matter, then what's the big deal about taking four years to go to university?

• Disassociated Lady 2
    Disassociated Lady 2

My mother was baptized in 1958 and was a very attractive woman. She too, believed that she would never grow old in this system. She is now 84 years old and even though she hangs onto their teachings because my Dad has recently died, she is a bitter negative woman. I know she thinks about it all deep down but would never admit it to us, but her daily aches and pains must remind her every day. So sad. x

• Heaven
    Heaven

My cousin's girl got married in 2005. My elderly JW aunt (my cousin's girl's grandmother) was there and said to me "I can't believe I got old. This wasn't supposed to happen."

Back in 2010 my Dad said to me that he didn't want to die. I told him I didn't want him to either but that is what happens. No one in the history of mankind has ever not died .... not even Jesus. We all have to die sometime.

What I discovered in my research on natural systems is that death is necessary for life. It is a part of the life cycle on Earth. Without death, there would be no life here. And we homo sapiens, aka human beings, are not separate from this system even though Religion wishes we were. This was very jaw dropping for me. Another case of the evidence, and of reality, flying in the face of delusional, wishful thinkers who have mislead millions of people.

Many JWs and those raised but not baptised JW held off having children because of the imminence of Armageddon. Many including one of my JW cousins who said she would have them once everything was a paradise Earth, Satan was done away with for good, and there was no more threat of Armageddon. This all comes on the heals of a belief that if you are a good JW, you won't ever die. Many also didn't go to school because why would you need to? Armageddon is so close. Paradise Earth looms before us. My Mom even said to me and my younger brother you can't go to College and you won't need careers as Armageddon is so close. That was after the failure of Armageddon to arrive in 1975. My younger bro and I ignored this and went to College. We are so glad we did. I guarantee my retirement is far closer than Armageddon ever will be.

It amazes me that Religion is allowed to operate with such fraudulent claims. No other company or organization would get away with peddling a product or service that never stands up to it's claims. Religion truly is legalized fraud.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

As is the case with sooooo many Watchtower proclamations--It depends on what the word "never" means!

And it also depends on what the word "old" means!

just saying!

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I wonder what was going through the minds of the all former GB members and their wives as they laid there dying on their death beds?

What do you think?

just saying!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I am approaching 76 years old. I can clearly recall that AWAKE! statement and similar during the pre-1975 hype -- "staying alive in '75", et al. I can remember being angry for the first time with Watchtower literature since my 1956 baptism, suspecting that they were running ahead of what the Bible was directly telling us. It took me another 12 years, however, before other Watchtower blunders finally brought me to my senses.

I mean no disrespect in the illustrations toward those in menial, yet honorable occupations. I cry inwardly for those who bought in to that influence, giving themselves permission to take the easy way out as to advanced education. Yes, furthering one's education is a difficult task, even impossible to some. But, to those with the passion and resources to pursue some exciting career, it's a tragedy when one neglects that opportunity.

Thank you for posting this. The end or the world thing has been the mos disgusting thing that the WT has done to people. So many people made so many important life changing decisions around it, and the WT takes no responsibility for the harm they have caused.

They are a very very bad cult and can't care less about any person they harm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit