JW's Funerals, Forget About The Person! Let's Preach.

by new boy 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Makemeanunbeliever
    Makemeanunbeliever
    NewBoy is your reference to the 30 some yr old sister who died in a head on collision in Portsmouth Va at 3:30 am last Sunday? Leaving behind a couple kids? The funeral is going on now as I know people who went. Are you posting from there?
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

Funny timing.

Recently saw an obit for a former elder that had faded decades ago. He had requested no memorial service.

Noticed the same thing from another older Dub a few months back.

When someone requests no memorial service, it seems to be making a statement about their belief system.

• talesin
    talesin

I have to say, I never heard of an "eulogy" being given at a JW memorial service. That is, people who were friends or family, relating something about the person. A few sentences, by the elder giving the 'service'. is not considered an eulogy,. in the common sense.

I've decided, many years ago, that I will never participate in any JW-related death rituals, from the 'visitation' at the funeral home, to the memorial service. I honour people in life; the rituals after death are for the survivors. That group will only punish and exclude me, so sharing their rituals will only bring more pain. Better to experience that alone, than suffer their neglect / abuse. xx tal

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.....What "REALLY HAPPENS" to Jehovahs Witnesses After They Die?

......................Image result for jehovah's witness logo..Image result for mythbusters logo

.........................................................................................AFTER..

........................Dead......................................................Still Dead..

.....Image result for Tombstone.................Image result for Tombstone

........................................................................................................................http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/thsmilie_happy_251.gif

• mgmelkat
    mgmelkat
    My grandma insists that her funeral talk is to be a fine witness- she's already written what she wants said (it is mostly JW stuff). She thinks that when she dies and the hundreds of 'worldly' people and family who will attend her funeral and listen to what she says, having been divinely inspired by her faith will all turn around and be baptised as JW's.
  • cha ching
    cha ching

It is rather embarrassing to have all these "outside friends" that someone worked with, they knew them, loved them, come to the K Hall, and all they hear is recruitment. The looks on their faces.... "Didn't anyone care about ___?"

Can you imagine? A "worldly" person caring more?

• talesin
    talesin

lol @ OUTLAW !

I love old graveyards (we have some old ones here), and have some pics of interesting tombstones. I have one pic, of me, leaning on a gravestone with my name on it (my great-grandma, who was NOT a JW, but considered a WITCH *huge grin*).

• TipsyMangoTea
    TipsyMangoTea

I was always so embarrassed being in the presence of the deceased's family while listening to the so-called eulogy. They didn't become Witnesses for a reason before their loved one died.

Most of the people in my congregation just stare and whisper about the relatives in attendance, then they all scramble around making sure they have a ride to the restaurant where the free lunch is being served. ~_~;;*

• zophar
    zophar

Performed many funerals and, for many years, have not followed the provided outline. My talk was all about the person and how they lived their life. I think the worse thing you could do would be to try to preach doctrine or recruit. The persons life course speaks loudly enough, no matter how important they were in the organization.

It is a time for providing comfort not preaching.

• Late Bloomer
    Late Bloomer
    I never knew how weird this was as we never attended the funerals of non-JW relatives because they were usually held in a church. We didn't go to non-JW weddings for the same reason. Any activities held in a church were off limits, even if the activity was not religiously themed. I've still never been to a "worldly" funeral. I can only guess what goes on by what I've seen in movies and tv.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit