Adam buried at the foot of Christ's cross. Are you kidding me.

by James Mixon 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I heard this on "The story of God". His blood trickle down through the rocks into Adam giving

him life. I have never heard this before, just unbelievable. How in the hell was Adam buried there? LOL

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Theists say the darnedest things.
  • David_Jay
    David_Jay

While not official doctrine or theology by any means, the location of Golgotha got its name from a series of Jewish traditions.

First and foremost, as Scripture states, the name of the area means "Place of the Skull." This is due to the Jewish tradition that the skull of Adam, having been in the possession of Melchizadek (who is identified with Shem, son of Noah), was laid to rest there after the flood.

The area was the later location of where Abraham attempted to offer up Issac, and where the Temple was eventually built. The sacrifices of the Temple were considered by many Jews as a perpetuating of the sacrifice God provided Abraham in exchange for his son, and it ended up being the place, right outside the upper west wall of Jerusalem where the Romans executed criminals.

This is why in many ancient artist renditions of the Crucifixion you see a skull and crossbones at the bottom of the cross. This represents Adam's bones, and it is illustrative of the teaching on the redemption of humanity which Christians believe occurred on Good Friday.

However, though some Christians may misunderstand the details, their mistakes do not represent any actual doctrine or teaching in either Judaism or Christianity. It represents a historical legend, nothing more, and can be found in both Talmudic writings and those of the Church Fathers.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Thanks David_Jay. It seems to me they are back tracking events in order to fit the scriptures.

In other words they are making up stuff.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

It may seem that way, but the idea of Adam being buried there and everything else I explained is older than the New Testament, at least until you get to the part of Jesus being put to death at Skull Place.

The fact that it is post-Biblical even in Judaism shows that it is an independent view as well. Golgotha is a real location, and things just worked out that way as history unfolded (or allegedly did).

Remember, this stuff is discussed even in the Talmud and Church Fathers, often in passing. So it wasn't as if they were trying to make things fit the Bible as we know it today. The Church Fathers had yet to canonize the Christian Scriptures and the Jews did not even believe in Jesus as the Messiah, so no one (especially the Jews) was trying to agree with the Christian Scriptural record. Some parts of the Bible were not even written before this tradition began.

• rebel8
    rebel8

His blood trickle down through the rocks into Adam giving him life.

Whaaa...??? Adam was resurrected because Jesus' blood dripped on his remains? What happened to Adam after that? Did he go on to form a punk band?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    He's somewhere with the snake.
  • John_Mann
    John_Mann
    And there's a legend about the cross being made by the remainings from from the ark.
  • Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2
    http://www.ial.goldthread.com/twain_story.html

The Tomb of Adam
    by Mark Twain

The Greek chapel is the most roomy, the richest and the showiest chapel in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Its altar, like that of all the Greek churches, is a lofty screen that extends clear across the chapel, and is gorgeous with gilding and pictures. The numerous lamps that hang before it are of gold and silver, and cost great sums.

But the feature of the place is a short column that rises from the middle of the marble pavement of the chapel, and marks the exact centre of the earth.

To satisfy himself that this spot was really the centre of the earth, a skeptic once paid well for the privilege of ascending to the dome of the church, to see if the sun gave him a shadow at noon. He came down perfectly convinced. The day was very cloudy, and the sun threw no shadows at all; but the man was satisfied that if the sun had come out and made shadows, it could not have made any for him. Proofs like these are not to be set aside by the idle tongues of cavilers. To such as are not bigoted, and are willing to be convinced, they carry a conviction that nothing can ever shake.

If even greater proofs than those I have mentioned are wanted, to satisfy the headstrong and foolish that this is the genuine centre of the earth, they are here. The greatest of them lies in the fact that from under this very column was taken the dust from which Adam was made. This can surely be regarded in the light of a settler. It is not likely that the original first man would have been made from an inferior quality of earth, when it was entirely convenient to get first quality from the world's centre. This will strike any reflecting mind forcibly. That Adam was formed of dirt procured in this very spot, is amply proven by the fact that in six thousand years no man has ever been able to prove that the dirt was not procured here whereof he was made.

It is a singular circumstance that right under the roof of this same great church, and not far away from that illustrious column, Adam himself, the father of the human race, lies buried. There is no question that he is actually buried in the grave which is pointed out as his--there can be none--because it has never yet been proven that that grave is not the grave in which he is buried.

The tomb of Adam! How touching it was, here in a land of strangers, far away from home and friends and all who cared for me, thus to discover the grave of a blood-relation! True, a distant one, but still a relation. The unerring instinct of nature thrilled its recognition. The foundation of my filial affection was stirred to its profoundest depths, and I gave way to tumultuous emotion.

I leaned upon a pillar and burst into tears. I deem it no shame to have wept over the grave of my poor dead relative. Let him who would sneer at my emotion close this volume here, for he will find little to his taste in my journeyings through Holy Land. Noble old man--he did not live to see me--he did not live to see his child. And I--I--alas, I did not live to see him. Weight down by sorrow and disappointment, he died before I was born--six thousand brief summers before I was born. But let us try to bear it with fortitude. Let us trust that he is better off where he is. Let us take comfort in the thought that his loss is our eternal gain.

From Mark Twain's Library of Humor, pp 33-35.

• Captain Schmideo2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit