Preaching Slowdown

by cornish 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• willyloman
    willyloman

Jay: Your timeline is right on; you nailed it.

Time actually spent in field service 1 hour maybe.

One hour's a stretch and this is precisely the reason so many JWs still go out in service. It doesn't require much, nothing bad's going to happen, and there's a payback. It's a waste of time, sure, but no more so than going to work at a job where you aren't required to do much. It fills the time, and you get paid. FS is the same way; the paycheck is psychological; you are relieved from guilt.

Your timeline left 35-55 minutes open for actual field service, but even THAT may be too liberal. Most of that time is spent standing in front of the door of an empty house, bookbags in hand, chatting about mundane things and whiling away the moments, followed by the slow shuffle to the next door while hoping no one's home there, either. On the rare occasion someone answers, the conversation is brief: not interested, thanks, close door. Next thing you know you're at the end of the block and there's a crowd of witnesses surrounding the car, impatiently waiting to move on to someplace with coffee and food.

As for those return visits from 11:30 to 12:00? Phantom service. "We're going to make some calls" is the JW equivalent of "have a nice day."

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    the JWs have started a new program called the "doorstep study." They call on people and talk to them for 5 minutes on their doorstep, then all they have to do is call back 2 more times and talk to them for about 5 minutes and they can report it as a bible study.

Blondie, PLEASE tell me you are just joking!

• undercover
    undercover
    Joker 10, the JWs have started a new program called the "doorstep study." They call on people and talk to them for 5 minutes on their doorstep, then all they have to do is call back 2 more times and talk to them for about 5 minutes and they can report it as a bible study.
    However Bible studies have gone way up.

Also, you can factor 9-11 into that as well as the WTS educating the R&F how to more accurately report studies.

Don't forget that you can count the family study with unbaptized children as a bible study. That adds up too.

the JWs have started a new program called the "doorstep study." They call on people and talk to them for 5 minutes on their doorstep, then all they have to do is call back 2 more times and talk to them for about 5 minutes and they can report it as a bible study.

Nope. I read or heard that too.

• detective
    detective

Another benefit of field service: keeping minions busy.

I remember reading in a book on cults that cults tend to give people menial tasks to keep them occupied. Often, the tasks are so outrageously repetive and dull that adherents just "space out". When adherents are spacing out, they tend to be listless and less inclined towards really absorbing the details or, in other words, less viable ideologies of the group. Hence, less likely to stage a result. Additionally, if they aren't "spacing out" as a result of meaningless tasks, they are kept too occupied to really think about problems within the group.

"I'm too busy to even think..."

And since when is cleaning toilets a priveledge? Oh, that's right- it's not. But cults attack your self esteem by assigning demaning tasks (that is, if you aren't a housekeeper EARNING MONEY from your task which is a legitimate form of employment). They tell you that you are lucky to clean fecal matter from a human waste receptacle...

or mop a floor.

Cults... if they don't screw you one way... they screw you another!

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

One thing is certain, the WTBS cannot control the free flow of information through the internet, despite their best efforts.

Due to the bravery and courage of many witnesses, former witnesses, and relatives/friends/victims of witnesses, the truth about the "truth" is getting publicized.

Combine the flow of information with the ever changing trends and technology in modern society, add multi-culturalism/globalism and you have a recipe for instant reduction and unpopularity of religion in geenral, and of course, a noticeable decrease in field service and attendance.

The WTBS can only re-tool and re-work the dubious figures they are given by the rank & file and then attempt to project some sort of increase in activity. I am sure they are almost as adept at numerical "tweaking" as Enron, Halliburton, WorldComm, Tyco, Arthur Andersen or Wall Street.

Pity the older membership is still swallowing the party-line propaganda and wasting precious golden years.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

This is no Joke. I heard it introduced myself at the District Convention.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

4. Then there are the phantom hours. If you spent 1 hour doing the above, expand it to 2 hours. Eventually, just thinking about going out can be expanded to 2 hours and reported. Talked to your child for 2 minutes about picking up their room and reflecting on godly cleanliness, 1 hour.

Blondie you really cracked me up with this one!

Joker 10, the JWs have started a new program called the "doorstep study." They call on people and talk to them for 5 minutes on their doorstep, then all they have to do is call back 2 more times and talk to them for about 5 minutes and they can report it as a bible study.

Yep, they will do anything to say they had a bible study. The light keeps getting dimer and dimer and......

Merc'

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

double post

double post

Jay,

Your timeline is dead-on.

"It's funny because it's true!" -Homer Simpson

And yes, the new 'Bible Study' scheme is true.

Sad, but true. Anything to artifically inflate the numbers.

Winston.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit