It's a shame isn't it?

by freddo 77 Replies latest jw friends

• freddo
    freddo

... that this forum, which is such an amazing resource for those needing support for their journey from Watchtower's clutches has an increasingly present representation of unreasoning politically charged loudmouths.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Nope, it's not a shame at all.

Leaving the WT can be a very stressful thing and those who've just left the cult can be in a bad place.

It would be common sense for such people to stay out of robust political debates until they get out of that bad place.

I think it's great that this site provides a safe haven for such people.

But I also think it's great that this site allows robust political expression and debate.

Long may it continue ...

• cofty
    cofty

Time to open the popcorn.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

LUHE - I think the point being made by the OP is that the "safe haven" is often used by some to attack and shout down people with different beliefs. Very unfriendly.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I think the point being made by the OP is that the "safe haven" is often used by some to attack and shout down people with different beliefs - well, this point has little to back it up.

Everyone's allowed a say on this site, and can continue to post on any topic, as long as they adhere to the forum rules. Simon's a pretty good moderator. He typically gives people multiple warnings before taking any action. People don't get shouted down.

The political threads often get a little rough but that's not surprising.

And this place is still a safe haven for those who've just left the cult.

• galaxie
    galaxie

There is a politics and current affairs section as a vehicle for discussions as described, i dont see the problem.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I don’t think politics is any more hotly debated here than is Evolution vs Creation.

If you don’t like the debate (whatever the subject), there’s that little red box with an “x” in it in the upper right corner that makes it all go away.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

If Simon wants to start political threads that he spends days arguing on, it's his site, it's up to him I suppose.

Personally I didn't appreciate being classed in with a group of people by Simon on a political thread whose ignorant views I don't share and then all of us being called fucking idiots

I don't know what happened to his forum guidelines, especially 'be nice'. I'll say goodbye now just in case I don't get the chance to speak to you again Freddo. 😀

• stillin
    stillin

X, I have to agree that Simon certainly has strong opinions and the "power" to exercise his authority by means of censoring.

Regarding the OP. When this becomes simply a political discussion forum I will take my leave. Ones leaving the Org can choose not to read those threads and focus on the ones about the Bible, or cult identification or just plain humor to be found outside of the stilted humor among the witnesses. Pick and choose and maybe get a little educated in the process.

I certainly agree that shouting down ones with different views and shaming or mocking is a poor way to represent ones' cause. It almost seems like some left the Witnesses so that they could be buffoons and boorish.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I see the behavior of some on here revert back to their JW ways when it comes to politics. Very black and white thinking. Villianizing anyone who expresses an opposing view. This is exactly what JWs do to religions that they don’t agree with. It’s all or nothing. JWs make no effort to find common ground with ones they deem as completely wrong. And they group all opposers into one big category ... again it is that all or nothing, black and white thinking. And it is being ‘repeated on this board.

I really hope the demeanor of discussing politics changes on this board. I really would like to discuss politics and opposing views with my fellow JWs, but not if I am going to be called a cry baby, an idiot, or any other name because I have an opposing view.

It is okay to disagree. It is not okay to name call and hurl insults.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit