Is Larry Graham an Elder?

by ShirleyW 32 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Dagney: they were colorful, my uncle dressed like the singing groups in that day.

I have never seen so many colorful suits at the KH. LOL

This was back in the 70's so I don't know if this is the case today.

• Dagney
    Dagney

My last convention was 2001 I think, and it was as so. I can't imagine them coming down on it because it is just part of the community/culture. Who really cares?

There were also sisters in full African dress, but they were not from Africa...maybe it's a convention time thing.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I heard him give a talk once, but that was a long time ago, but he was an elder back then.
  • talesin
    talesin

My father had a red & white plaid polyester suit. I kid you not. It was the 70s! :P

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    This whole Prince can of worms/pandoras box opens a little wider each day.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

My dad had a baby blue gingham check polyester suit in the '70s...and the rest of us had matching dresses.

Yuck, thinking about it now.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

If anyone wore that sort of suit in my part of the world, he would be accused of having a self centred attitude and a worldly attitude quicker than you can say "prince".....

An appointed brother or pioneer would be in severe trouble!

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Why is Larry Graham wearing purple from head to toe? Isn't it to honor Prince?

Jehovah's Witnesses are supposed to believe that honor should go only to God, never to the individual; it's the main reason you can't observe your child's birthday.

And why would a Jehovah's Witness in good standing be arm-in-arm, holding hands, with a woman he isn't married to?  (According to funeral coverage she is Shiela E.)

Ordinary Witnesses would be yanked in a back room meeting with elders so fast it would make your head spin over either of these issues.

Celebrities get a pass.  More double standards of Jehovah's Witnesses?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    This was back in the 70's so I don't know if this is the case today.

Yes, agreed definitely the witness were not so " uniform" back then , whoever they were.

I can asure you that currently, in the UK at least, black brothers are expected to wear the same old suits as everyone else ( with the exception, as I mentioned, of national costume) . However, I have noticed that these days sisters of all colours often are wearing the sort of clothes we would get into hot water for wearing - high high heals and short- ish tight skirts loads of jewelry etc - I think wat you guys are calling a " hoochie mama"? Could someone explain what that is If not?

Just wondering I there are any ex witness of colour on this board can say if CURRENTLY folks can get away with that sort of flamboyance, as I say in the UK definitely not!
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

So LG can wear purple but wearing black is ALWAYS wrong,

What if there was a request to wear a specific colour to a funeral - you can bet some self-righteous elder would crack down on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit