Did your congregation ever throw special parties exclusively for Pioneers?

by Tenacious 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

I'm trying to remember if these parties were a direct instruction from HQ or if this was something on a local level.

I remember I attended at least 2 of these parties and we also would bring them gifts. I saw them no different than a bday party (elevating someone to idolatry level).

If anyone else remembers these parties please let me know. If there's a letter out there somewhere from HQ that would be even better. Thanks!!!

• stillin
    stillin

There were sporadiic reminders about offering the pioneers help but I never saw a gift-giving party.

• blondie
    blondie

The elders would but just for pioneers (and their spouses) and the elders and their spouses. No one else invited. I was married to an elder otherwise I would not have been invited. Like the inner sanctum. No gifts but a turkey dinner and all the fixings; usually the annual meeting of the elders with the regular pioneers to encourage them. Usually around Thanksgiving or Christmas because everyone had the day off.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yes, our congregation had a party just for pioneers, with gifts etc. Pretty sure it only happened once though.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

You had parties for pioneers?! I pioneered for ten years and never saw one. From what posters on here say some pioneers were horrible, expecting handouts, acting superior.

Pioneering seems to have a bad reputation generally on this forum. To me it just meant a lot of hard work door knocking and being very poor. Parties especially for us, in your dreams!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Yes they have parties for pioneers. it's a big bash. The cream of the crop gets invited--all the elders and their wives and of course the pioneers.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

Same here, as Xanthippe, I never saw one either.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

We did. It it a yearly thing in our case. All publishers were invited, otherwise there would be no money to do it. Gifts were encouraged

• blondie
    blondie

There was no official rule for not doing this. In this case, the individual BOE makes the call. I found that out when one congregation allowed sisters to have more than one piercing in each earlobe. I depended on what the BOE in their congregation decided. That went all the way up to the service desk to stop the fighting.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TENACIOUS:

Yes, they did. My landlord even had the nerve to ask me for a donation for such a thing back in the days when I was in...I resented this, since I was criticized for working full time. He was one of the ones who might have imagined I “owed” somebody something because I worked. This would certainly never happen again!

XANTHIPPE:

Unfortunately, there were a few pioneers that had an attitude of entitlement..There may have also been a humble one here and there. I was friendly with an older lady in my first congregation who pointed out a certain older pioneer who as she said “didn’t lord it over anybody”. I guess it depended on your body of elders whether or not there were these types of gatherings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit