What are your thoughts about Mormons?

by Iamallcool 35 Replies latest jw friends

• wozza
    wozza

My hands up ,my mother became a Mormon back in the 50's so I was brought up from the age of about 4 with the missionaries coming around during the day while my father was at work . He despised them coming around and was an atheist. I have many memories some funny and not so funny ,my mother got pretty involved as far as a woman could in a thing called the MIA which included social events and staging plays etc and freely taught me beliefs of the LDS church .

I was baptised at the age of 8 and took on the ministry at age 12 doing the sacrements and giving talks before they booted her out .

Met lots of young elder missionaries who were only men back then ,mostly Americans but sometimes Mauri ones from New Zealand would come over. They would do 2 year missions and then go back to start careers back home. My mother kept in touch over the years with them and in the later 60's told me that only one I think stayed heterosexual though still marrying in the temples.

I stopped going before my 13th birthday because my mother was booted out ,many years later I was told for having a relationship with a teenager from church which probably explains my father moving out when I was 12.

Years before a bad memory was that my father was out of work for a long time because of a strike at the factory. The government did not help with money because he was on strike but my mother still had to pay her tithe to the LDS church. She would give them 10% of her house keeping which my father really resented. I remember when the strike finished the elders came up to her at the meeting one time with a book recording everyones tithes asking for the accrued tithe she had not paid while my was on strike! Even as a kid I thought this so wrong.

At the time my mother always did not agree with the way African and American Africans were treated as lower because they supposedly had the mark of Cain by being black, they could not get the priesthood or marry whites in the temple etc. When I questioned this she said the prophets say this is the way, but years later when the"prophets" changed their minds I brought this up to missionaries that would come to the door .

Even as a kid I wanted truth and read their literature including the Pearl of Great Price etc and noted they used the King James bible but the Book of Mormon quoted it in the same archaic english as the KJ ,but the KJ was written long after the Book of Mormon was supposedly written on gold plates and translated by Joseph Smith and his wife and given them by the angel Morini - yep just another crap American religion.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The individual members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints whom I have meant all seemed nice to me. But I don't agree with their religion.

Recently the church announced to their members that they should not refer to themselves as Mormons and that when people call them Mormons, they should tell the people that their name (personal name) is not Mormon and that the name of their church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When I called one a Mormon he told me those very things.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The "Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints" (Mormons ) is just another religion "Made in America" like so many other religions that have sprung up in that country.

And they are all money gold mines for those who run those organizations, and no "GOD" has anything to do with any of them.

Those of us who joined them were all gullible when we did and those who were born into those religions and who stay are to be the most pitied.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The LDS is the WTS’s nicer but weirder older cousin.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The story of the creation of the Mormon church is pretty interesting and entertaining. Joseph Smith seemed to have been as clever as he was insane. Not a good combination, but a lot of fun to read about.

• blondie
    blondie

My second comment addition to my previous: Like many religions, they have adjusted many times, beliefs, history, etc. And like many religions, the public front is much different from what goes on behind the scenes. I lived in "Mormon" country for 4 years and some were wanting to explain their beliefs and get you to join them. But I did my homework and I found their beliefs even more bizarre than WT ones, probably because I was still somewhat indoctrinated. But I was able to raise good questions with LDS individuals that made think step back and think but then go back to their cognitive dissonance. I have been on the ex-Mormon discussion boards and we compared notes, many things the same as to organization type. But I always treat each one I meet with friendliness because of how individual LDS treated me, with respect and kindness, something I did find much in the WTS, but enough to change to LDS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit